What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builder Numbers?

Phil

Well Known Member
Just curious - for those of you who have recent acquired an RV-10 kit from Vans, what was your builder number? I'm just trying to get and idea of how many are under construction for a radio program.

Thanks,
Phil

Last edited:
Cool

Wow, that's interesting, if I am reading the numbers right. There are at least 427 RV-10s flying, and approximately 960 more planes in the pipeline...including more than one per week started in the last year - and many that are near completion right now. Even accounting for builder completion rates, that means we could see the number of RV-10s double in the next 3-4 years. And that means twice as many cool people who are fun to hang out with :)

It seems every time I pull into a new airport someone comes up to the plane and wants to know what it is! Yesterday I flew over to a local airport in il. 4 guys came up to me and told me two -10s were in process at the airport! I went over and looked at one. It'll be fun when more an more start to appear!

I was #40983 in Sep 2009, so about 400 empennage kits in the last 3 yrs were sold. Big slow down this last year it appears, kind of like my business. I noticed only 177 registered in the U.S., so it is no wonder I hardly ever see one. The family really has enjoyed the travels of 2012, and we are looking forward to 2013.

Looks like we have more than 1,412 kits sold with 427 reported flying. That means there are almost 1,000 kits in progress.

(like Bryan said), I'll bet there are a number of -10's right on the cusp of flying and that we've doubled the flying RV-10 count within 3-4 years.

What will be interesting is to see how the -14 projects go. It is supposed to be a more builder friendly airplane than the -10 and it doesn't have the dreaded fiberglass work that slows the -10 builders down. With the smoother build process of the -14, could it be possible that 5-7 years from now the flying aircraft count would exceed the project count?

If it could be done, you'd know you hit the sweet-spot with simplified kit design.

Just a thought...

Last edited:
So what are the odds?

The other day the city was fixing hangar roofs, so my -10 was in transient parking. The city guy offered me a ride over there; as we approached, I said "That's my RV-10 there". As he pulled up, I had to say, "no, I'm the other 10" (parked next to each other). And, Dave's 10 is one serial number different from mine, and that is a complete coincidence. So what are the odds. BTW, there are three 10's based at KLVK.

My tail arrived the day before Thanksgiving making me builder number 41405. After getting too small of a scotchbrite wheel, I'm now off to the races.

Nice!

My tail arrived the day before Thanksgiving making me builder number 41405. After getting too small of a scotchbrite wheel, I'm now off to the races.

Congrats on your "leap" into the world of homebuilding. You're gonna love it. FYI, I am working on the wings of my 10 and know 2 guys with flying 10s out of KAPA. We should get together some time. You can come drool over my project. ;)

Mike

Back