What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rebuilding rudder

Tailpilot

Well.....I was going to post some pictures on the site to get some recommendations on either how to fix the problem or if I should rebuild. I decided to rebuild.
Here is what happend. When riveting the stiffeners on the rudder skin I used -3.5 instead of the -3 rivets the plans called for by mistake. After I glued the trailing edge and set the rivets I noticed that where the stiffeners were located the skin was raised. After talking with a good builder friend of mine, we were worried that over time the rivets rubbing on the skin would cause a problem. I first tried to put a backing plate on the other side and use a mushroom set to set the rivets more. That worked......but the skin looked really bad. Plus my wife said that there is no way she is going to fly that thing if you don't rebuild the rudder :eek:
450ef567494c0ac33a17b0067cdb467e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you didn't actually ask any questions, and you got no responses, which is unusual for a post. When I read this, I have to admit that I'm a little confused. I would not think there would be any problem using 3.5 length rivets in lieu of 3.0 rivets. I typically did this as the 3.0 rivets were just on the cusp of being able to get proper set dimensions. The .5 extra made it much easier and I have heard of many builders using the same. It seems you are inferring there was some sort of interference caused by using the extra length rivet which I do not understand. The only interference I can concieve of which would fit your description is that the stiffener was not trimmed properly where it tapers on the aft portion. Seeing this is your rudder, I'm assuming you are a new builder. Please make sure if you have any issues you are not sure of that you check with an experienced builder or two, or better yet an EAA tech counselor. You may have done all of this, but your post leads to a little concern. I see you plan to start over, but you want to make sure you have the correction nailed so you don't repeat a problem or come up with a new one, which could lead to a lot more frustration.:)

I am with Tim, I think you left the stiffener a little long or the trim angle a little high. The rivet would not interfere.

I never thought of that. I will double check on the next rudder build and post my outcome. When I was installing the -3.5 rivets they seemed to be the correct length according to my rivet gauge. So I makes sense that it may have been a poor trim on my part. It is pretty narrow at the trailing edge. Thanks for the help.

Agreed with Tim, there is very little room once everything put together. It is hard to see in the picture but the bulging area seem to be more at the end of stiffener rather than the rivet.

Back