What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel/Tube Grommet?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I am using the stock Grove wheels Vans supplied for my RV10. I upgraded to some Dressor 600-6 Leakguard tubes. When I look at the picture Dressor has at on their page it shows what looks like a grommet around the valve stem and the hole in the wheel. The wheels from Grove didn't have this and the tube didnt come with one. Is this an illusion, an optional item or was it just omitted by mistake with my wheels?

http://www.desser.com/store/products/600%2d6-"LEAKGUARD"-BUTYL-TUBE-(New-Easy-Flate-Valve).html

The grommet is not included with the tube or tire, and should have been part of your wheel kit. You definitely need one, as the sharp edges of the wheel where the grommet goes would quickly cut into your tube. On my RV-6A, these are on the mains only, not the nose wheel. It's rather obvious as the hole needing a grommet is more than double the size of the valve stem, which is not the case on the nose wheel.

Vans and Grove weigh in on the issue

Mark,
I called Vans and Joe said "No problem...you don't need it" and then I called Grove and they said that "grommets do NOT come with the 6" wheels....but they do come with the 5" wheels". So, the RV-10 folks go without.....

I verified with Grove the 600x6 wheels do not require a grommet and one is not available. They are going to review their instructions/wording and clarify this.

Grommets for valve stems are available from parts stores, NAPA, etc. Of course if not needed, disregard.

Back