What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Android Tablet No longer just a Novelty

Paul

Finally a good quality product at a realistic price!
AND IT FLY's THE PLANE.

I have had a Garmin 295 panel mounted for the last 9 years that is connected to a Trio Avionics A/P. It fly's the plane just fine for the long cross country trips.

Unwilling to pay the high price for the new panel mounted screens with moving map software, I have been attracted to the tablet option for a moving map reference. BUT it must have VFR & IFR maps and all approach plates, again at a realistic price.

So, I got the Acer A500 10" tablet ($400), added the Naviator Android Software ($50 year), added a $45 Bluetooth GPS (Gives faster GPS lock and accuracy) and off I went.....maps no longer in a bag in the back of the plane, got them on my tablet. But, the Garmin was still flying the plane and still my main quick reference. The tablet just seemed to be a novelty item except for the fact that it takes care of having the maps for reference if needed.

That is until I did a beta test for a new version of the software. With the addition of a Bluetooth serial adapter ($80), I connected the tablet to the Trio Avionics autopilot.

Now the Tablet is flying the plane! And no wires. I can even turn off the screen (Saving battery power) and put the tablet between me and the passenger--still fly's the plane. I will probably end up re-doing my panel and creating a removable mount for the tablet with ship power.

Outstanding addition to the software--Fly's great.
This is in addition to the new weather radar while on the ground with WIFI and the new Global terrain database with terrain warnings. (They are working on adding ADS -B weather for "In flight weather radar" and an Obstacle clearance database)

I now have an inexpensive ($575) moving map GPS replacement for the old 3" screen Garmin 295 GPS (It cost $1200 10 years ago and quit working 2 months ago)

AND I can take the tablet with me to the hotel to access the web or work computers.

I don't usually recommend many products since there are many ways to solve various issues but the Naviator Software has definitely impressed me. If you have the same configuration I have had for quite a while and hate the Garmin $40 updates every 56 days, you should definitely take a look!

And they offer a free 30 day trial with the Full Version of the software. Check it out at http://www.naviatorapp.com/

Paul
RV-6A 1,150 hrs
Flying Since 2002
"Taylor Maid"
Kansas City, MO

Last edited:
So, being technologically challenged, I have a question. could a Kindle fire be utilized in the same manner for the map software? Since it is not bluetooth capable I guess the gps receiver could be wired in via the usb port. I like the size (and price) of the kindle for use in the airplane.

How does the screen perform in direct sunlight?

I am looking for a 7" tablet for use in my -4, but want to make sure I can read it in the sun.

Thanks,

Dean

There was a thread here recently about using a Nook Color that had been 'rooted' to run the straight Android operating system, but I don't remember them trying to couple to an autopilot. Supposedly, you can purchase an inexpensive data card for the Nook Color with Android pre-loaded, so you don't even need to alter the tablet's internal operating system.

I'm watching for a deal on a used one to play with, but that might not happen now that my wife played with her son's ipad....

Charlie

Back