What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flyled the works just arrived

It’s just like building an RV - one step at a time. Read thru all the paper instructions before starting.

The instructions were very clear.. read it once or twice before you dig in.. it was surprisingly fun to assemble them! It’s an excuse to but a nice soldering iron.. get one with a temperature knob and even better if it has a digital readout!

I was in the same position about a month ago. Bought an ex Tronic soldering station for $60 from the jungle website to go with it. It’s very easy and straightforward. The directions are very good.

There were two gotchas for me: one, a couple of the LEDs were already soldered on. That is good, but those two boards are no longer interchangeable. The other two boards with no components on them are interchangeable until you start soldering or cutting. The LEDs that were soldered on were very small, so I’m glad they came pre-soldered, but I didn’t notice them at first. Fortunately the older bat wingtips are largely symmetrical.

The second thing to note is if you are using the older bat wings, there’s a note at the bottom of the page regarding using different resistor values. Just need to read the whole page before searching for a couple of resistors that you don’t have!

Overall it was a lot of fun, well except for cutting the fiberglass wingtips. It reminded me of a Heathkit from back in the day. Excellent product!

Four or five days from ordering to sitting at my door. The works kit, tail light, and some wiring.

"It reminded me of a Heathkit from back in the day. Excellent product!"

Man, you just brought back some **fond** high school and college memories of Dynaco hi fi gear and HeathKit ham radio stuff! - from back in the days before airplanes flew without U-control strings :D

How long did it take from ordering to receipt?

I ordered FlyLed from Flyboy Accessories. Had it within a week I believe. Still need to put it together. One of the 7 star leds fell off when I put the board back in the bag after measuring for the mount. Blake at FlyBoys replaced it no questions asked.

Just mounted mine

Just Wow! When it lights up. I miss wired my tail light but just reversed the leads by accident. Paul recommended the Carlisle “progressive switch” to allow off- landing light- wigwag choices on just one switch. Super cool product.

Attachments

• D4A5C35E-F68C-4824-B034-A80EDF8E31CB.jpg
    D4A5C35E-F68C-4824-B034-A80EDF8E31CB.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 108
Please tell me there is a good YouTube on how to assemble this thing.
An assembly video is half way through production, but other priorities keep getting in the way!
With soldering you'll find that you can be an expert in no time, and once you've got the hang of it you can go back to those first few connections and make them look as perfect as the last ones you did!
Please let us know how you go.

How long did it take from ordering to receipt?
Our products are available from Flyboy Accessories, and we ship direct from the Flyleds.com website using DHL, usually taking five or six days to the west/east coasts.

Back