What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

what to do with aluminum while waiting for paint

amekler

Well Known Member
Patron
It's a year wait to get the plane into the paint shop. Any advice on whether to polish the aluminum or how to protect it for the year?
Alan
N603NH
RV-12 awaiting inspection

I would say just try to keep it clean so that there is no build up of grime, salt, dust etc. that could contribute to corrosion. The aluminum will naturally oxidise and this forms a protective coating. Avoid putting on any silicone or wax coatings that may cause problems for painting in future.
Or, just paint it yourself!

Exactly where I'm at in all this.

Flying for a year and a half. Washing the bird poop and salt spray off periodically after beach trips, etc. Planning actively to paint it myself with pro help here at the backyard hangar when warmer weather comes.

The main impediment is my own inability to settle on a scheme.

Agree with "just fly it." The unpainted exterior annoys the wife more than it does me. Helps to have HER pushing ME to drop another 8k on this hobby. :D

I think you'll be fine to wait a year if you choose.

Agree with "just fly it." The unpainted exterior annoys the wife more than it does me. Helps to have HER pushing ME to drop another 8k on this hobby.

After multiple estimates between $24,000 - $28,000 for a very simplistic paint scheme I JUMPED on the opportunity to the paintwork done for just under $13,000. If you can get it for $8,000 you should do it immediately!

Just fly it. No wax or polish. The first thing the paintshop will do is wash the plane to get all the lead and bugs and whatever off it. Then they will scuff up all the surfaces.. So don't worry about surface issues. The most you'd want to do is wipe down the leading edges.. and maybe a wash over the summer just so things don't get out of hand.

I got a quote for about $21k from a shop down in the southeast. Though he still wants to see it in person before firming that up. His first slot was sometime next year.. However, he said that there are a bunch of kitplanes on his list this year.. and more than likely one or more will get cancelled because the builder simply won't be ready. I told him that all I need is 2-day notice and I'll fly it down whenever he says. He's expecting early Fall.. he/they are PPG certified painters. Other shops quoted about the same, +/-, but this guy answered all my questions and I got a good vibe that he doesn't cut corners and wants to maintain the shops reputation.

I would have loved to show it off at Oshkosh this year.. but.. it'll have to wait.

Shop around and consider an enjoyable long X-country. Try Gus at Wickenburg, AZ (E25). 928-684-4926

His shop did a great job on a T-34 paint scheme for mine. In 2012 it was $10,500.

Be aware...

I seem to recall a thread on an "inexpensive" paint job not too long ago, on this very forum, that was "less than adequate".

Be aware and do your homework...

I knew that figure might catch an eye or two...

My engine mechanic paints planes on the side, and was willing to come to my house in 2020 to help me rebuild the Lycoming, selling me part at his cost and charging a flat labor fee of $2400 for the build assistance (plus multiple dinners at my house). He has offered to come help me prep the plane and shoot the paint using his equipment in my hangar. We are hoping for a ten-foot job, here, and since we'll be painting in a pole barn, there may well be a few bugs impinged in the top coat.

Stewart waterborne urethane. He's estimating 48 hours of prep labor based on other 4 seat models and no need to strip, and a few more for shooting. I'll have at least one helper pilot who lives upon the road and was there to scuff aluminum with me in '98 when I painted the 6A, wants to lend a hand again.

Price may climb if I add vinyl trim/graphics and outside help with scheme rendering. I know the 8k sounds low but I had an expectation of 15-20k before his quote, so I'm braced for a little disappointment that won't actually be disappointment if we can't hold it that low. Already realizing I will probably want to add some side lighting to the hangar walls for better visualization of how it's going down. Just bought a second creeper with adjustable head rest to help the poor schmuck who has to wash and scuff the belly and underside of the wings. These things add up, and I'm not sure it's "fair" to lump them into the paint job cost. But I will check back in when we're done, to brag or eat crow depending on the quality and the receipt totals :)

It's a year wait to get the plane into the paint shop. Any advice on whether to polish the aluminum or how to protect it for the year?
Wrap it in Vinyl, and a year from now decide whether you really need to spend that $8K or not at all.

I wrapped mine myself with 3M, came out great didn’t take long and it’s been 5 years and the wrap is looking great. The only prep is degreasing

I wrapped my wings in my living room :)

I wrapped mine myself with 3M, came out great didn’t take long and it’s been 5 years and the wrap is looking great. The only prep is degreasing

I wrapped my wings in my living room :)

How difficult is wrapping the cowl inlet area? I'm thinking more and more about polishing my plane and using a chrome wrap on the fiberglass.

I'm definitely going to wrap. That way I can do it a bit at a time and it's easy to re-do something I'm not happy with.

Jerre

gallons of paint

My engine mechanic paints planes on the side, and was willing to come to my house in 2020 to help me rebuild the Lycoming, selling me part at his cost and charging a flat labor fee of $2400 for the build assistance (plus multiple dinners at my house). He has offered to come help me prep the plane and shoot the paint using his equipment in my hangar. We are hoping for a ten-foot job, here, and since we'll be painting in a pole barn, there may well be a few bugs impinged in the top coat.

Stewart waterborne urethane. He's estimating 48 hours of prep labor based on other 4 seat models and no need to strip, and a few more for shooting. I'll have at least one helper pilot who lives upon the road and was there to scuff aluminum with me in '98 when I painted the 6A, wants to lend a hand again.

Price may climb if I add vinyl trim/graphics and outside help with scheme rendering. I know the 8k sounds low but I had an expectation of 15-20k before his quote, so I'm braced for a little disappointment that won't actually be disappointment if we can't hold it that low. Already realizing I will probably want to add some side lighting to the hangar walls for better visualization of how it's going down. Just bought a second creeper with adjustable head rest to help the poor schmuck who has to wash and scuff the belly and underside of the wings. These things add up, and I'm not sure it's "fair" to lump them into the paint job cost. But I will check back in when we're done, to brag or eat crow depending on the quality and the receipt totals :)

Bill do you have an estimate of the number of gallons in primer, assuming you are using an epoxy. I'm all for your 10' on the ramp or 5' and 5mph...

Back