What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3-D CAD file?

vomatic

Does anyone have or know where to get a 3-D CAD or .STP file of an RV-8? I can find them for other models, but not the -8. I want to use them to build a 3-D of my paint. Thanks.

I emailed Vans about this. They won't share CAD models (proprietary). What is possible with 3-D CAD and products like Solidworks is super cool and would enable 3D renderings of paint schemes (to scale) vs. the 2D drawings we now have. If you've seen this done you know what I'm talking about. Maybe some day.........

To expound on the previous post, working with X-plane repaints is a good way to tinker with paint schemes and get a better preview of them than the three-view drawings provide. There's a bit of a learning curve involved, but in the end it amounts to editing a flat image file that the X-plane tools will then wrap around a 3d model. For the image editing, you use whatever your favorite editor is; for wrapping around a model, there's a utility that comes with X-plane (even the free version) for previewing a model, or you can load your custom paint livery into the game.

This is what the flat image looks like:

ePc4u3L.png

It takes a little trial and error to figure out what everything is (example: which fuselage profile is the left and which is right?), but in the end you just color to your heart's desire. When you're done, you can load the resulting livery into their 3d model previewer, which looks like this:

KZyezV5l.png

In there, you can roll/pitch/yaw the preview to your heart's content, and for extra realism, you can then go actually fly your aircraft in X-Plane and make sure it looks good while performing questionable acts of aeronautical decision making in the vicinity of your home airport:

O4LOIgql.png

There's only one thing you must pay for to do this, and that's the RV-8 X-Plane add-on; it's $32. The rest you can do with free stuff, though what you can do in the game with your completed livery is limited unless you buy the full X-plane version.

Overall, it's surprisingly straightforward to do. There are lots of tutorials floating around for doing liveries, and I got the basics worked in in a few hours - but I'm probably more tech comfortable than many people.

This is the best I have found:

https://grabcad.com/library/rv-8-3d-print-1

The model is a bit of a mess to print as it is set up with a bunch of built in supports to 3D print. I have been slowly working through the model to get it more printable, and at one point had it in SolidWorks on something I could render.

Attachments

• RV-8_Assembly_With_Supports-1.JPG
    RV-8_Assembly_With_Supports-1.JPG
    435.8 KB · Views: 610
  • RV-8_Assembly_With_Supports-5.JPG
    RV-8_Assembly_With_Supports-5.JPG
    712.1 KB · Views: 457
These are pretty good. Certainly better than the 2D drawings we have access to. Let me give them a try. Thanks!

If there is enough interest in the RV-8 community, I can revive this project. 3D model of an RV-8 that I started on last year. I could have it finished in a few weeks if I worked at it. As the modeler I can change bits, put a fastback on it, Showplanes cowl, etc. Infinite possibilities. Customize it to just about any configuration, especially once the base models are done.

With the model finished, texturing it in any scheme is pretty straight forward. This is only a couple hours of tinkering with it, nowhere near a finished product. I would make it as accurate as I possibly could.

eBnWOUB.jpg

I normally do military stuff for fun, an RV-8 for scheme design wouldn't take that long to make.
wKJKCuY.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Mike, I would be really interested in your 3D of the RV8. If you continue it one day, it would be great......
Regards
Hervé

If there is enough interest in the RV-8 community, I can revive this project. 3D model of an RV-8 that I started on last year. I could have it finished in a few weeks if I worked at it. As the modeler I can change bits, put a fastback on it, Showplanes cowl, etc. Infinite possibilities. Customize it to just about any configuration, especially once the base models are done.

With the model finished, texturing it in any scheme is pretty straight forward. This is only a couple hours of tinkering with it, nowhere near a finished product. I would make it as accurate as I possibly could.

eBnWOUB.jpg

I normally do military stuff for fun, an RV-8 for scheme design wouldn't take that long to make.
wKJKCuY.jpg

I would definitely be interested in this if I’m able to edit and paint

I'll add this to my list of things to do this summer. No timeline as I just got a new job and have to attend job training for most of the month of June so it won't be done before then.

And yes I will do the 8A as well.

I'll add this to my list of things to do this summer. No timeline as I just got a new job and have to attend job training for most of the month of June so it won't be done before then.
Mike, just a reminder, I think you also have an actual RV-8 to finish! :) I'd also be very interested in this model. Thanks!

Don't remind me!!!!!!!

As a corporate pilot, we went from doing hardly anything this past year to being slammed these last few months. I don't know who flipped the travel switch back to 'on' but I need to have a word with them because I'm not getting anything done on my actual airplane these last few months!

I did just take a new flying job which will help alleviate some of the time away from home but I have to get a new type rating first which will take most of June. Worst of all, I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to OSH this year.......

Mike, Any update on this model. I'm working on making an RC 3D printable model, but I am struggling with sweep to create the canopy and cowling geometry. I'm using Creo.

Don't remind me!!!!!!!

As a corporate pilot, we went from doing hardly anything this past year to being slammed these last few months. I don't know who flipped the travel switch back to 'on' but I need to have a word with them because I'm not getting anything done on my actual airplane these last few months!

I did just take a new flying job which will help alleviate some of the time away from home but I have to get a new type rating first which will take most of June. Worst of all, I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to OSH this year.......

I'm looking for a cad filefor just the 8 instrument panel to do a panel instrument upgrade. Plan to just recut and do new layout.

Mike, Any update on this model. I'm working on making an RC 3D printable model, but I am struggling with sweep to create the canopy and cowling geometry. I'm using Creo.

Unfortunately not. I haven't even touched my RV-8 project since the end of September let alone had time to work on the 3D model.

BTW, I did see recently there is an RV-8 model coming out for MSFS2020 so I may not even need to do this after all.

Unfortunately not. I haven't even touched my RV-8 project since the end of September let alone had time to work on the 3D model.

BTW, I did see recently there is an RV-8 model coming out for MSFS2020 so I may not even need to do this after all.

yes, Need to find a way to translate the MS design to a common CAD format like .STP or .IGES file.

This is the best I have found:

https://grabcad.com/library/rv-8-3d-print-1

The model is a bit of a mess to print as it is set up with a bunch of built in supports to 3D print. I have been slowly working through the model to get it more printable, and at one point had it in SolidWorks on something I could render.

This model would probably be the best starting point, as it's an STP file that could be imported to the EAA version of Solidworks and finished from there. Or if you would be willing to share the files you have?

This model would probably be the best starting point, as it's an STP file that could be imported to the EAA version of Solidworks and finished from there. Or if you would be willing to share the files you have?

I have been working with this grab-CAD model for the last 3-4 weeks. Its not modeled as a solid, but a surface model. Its a bit of a mess when importing into Creo. So I have given up and started to do my own. I have tried to contact the owner of the model, located in EU, but now response. I have also inquired with Van's about getting a solid model of the RV-8 with just skins or a solid that was used to make the isometric 3-view drawing that is published. They declined the request for concern of a competitor using the design to replicate an RV-8 kit.. So I'll continue to work through this model over the holidays. I'm drawing mine off the DXF 3-view that Van's has published, but it does have some inconsistencies. I have also imported the RV-8 model from X-plane 11 files as a reference, but it is an STL surface only and unable to modify.

Anybody done this for a -10, sufficient for scheme tweaking/visualizing?

Please point me to the way.

Back