What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

162 KTS on 10 GPM

bryanflood

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I have read a few posts saying that 160 kts at 10 GPM is not possible for an RV-10. I just want to report my experience on the RV-10 performance. My RV-10 is not particularly fast, in fact I think it is a couple kts short of Van's numbers, so I would expect other RV-10's to be better.

I have verified the true air speed with 4 ways GPS runs and find that it is within 1-2 kts. The fuel flow gauge usually reports about .7-.8 GPM high on fuel use compared to the pump at the end of a flight. So I believe the fuel flow is accurate and reads conservatively if anything.

Here is a picture of 162 KTS true airspeed at 10 GPM. The flight conditions are 8000 foot density altitude, just under 60% power, lean of peak EGT and 2100 RPM.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Armhx9jDECRatYQA

The RV-10 really is an efficient machine.

Bryan

Beautiful panel! You know that you can adjust your fuel flow to be dead on accurate by adjusting your K factor..

RPMs?

In my experience it will run a bit faster on the same fuel flow at 2300 rpms.
I generally set for just under 170ts and a touch under 11gph LOP.
My 10 is happiest and fastest between 9000 and 11,000 feet

Hello all,

I have read a few posts saying that 160 kts at 10 GPM is not possible for an RV-10. I just want to report my experience on the RV-10 performance. My RV-10 is not particularly fast, in fact I think it is a couple kts short of Van's numbers, so I would expect other RV-10's to be better.

I have verified the true air speed with 4 ways GPS runs and find that it is within 1-2 kts. The fuel flow gauge usually reports about .7-.8 GPM high on fuel use compared to the pump at the end of a flight. So I believe the fuel flow is accurate and reads conservatively if anything.

Here is a picture of 162 KTS true airspeed at 10 GPM. The flight conditions are 8000 foot density altitude, just under 60% power, lean of peak EGT and 2100 RPM.

Bryan

Bryan, what propeller are you using? And what was the gross weight when you did this test?

Test weight

The prop is a Hartzell C2YR-1BFP/F8068D, van's standard offering. Test weight was 2300 lbs with a CG of about 25% of full range from forward.

I didn't think anyone would be too interested in going slow, but the RV-10 can do even better if you continue to slow down. For example at 7.6 GPM, 45% PWR, 1900 RPM and DA 1900 ft, I see 146 kts true = 19.21 NM/gal no wind. A very efficient way to operate for sure. I'm guessing people don't often fly like this, but interesting to know you can. A pretty stunning fuel savings over a more typical burn I see reported for RV-10's operating ROP at 160 kts and around 12GPM = 13.3 NM/gal

Thanks all for sharing performance points.

Bryan

Hello all,

Bryan

Bryan, what kind of ignition and fuel injection system are you using?

The prop is a Hartzell C2YR-1BFP/F8068D, van's standard offering. Test weight was 2300 lbs with a CG of about 25% of full range from forward.

I didn't think anyone would be too interested in going slow, but the RV-10 can do even better if you continue to slow down. For example at 7.6 GPM, 45% PWR, 1900 RPM and DA 1900 ft, I see 146 kts true = 19.21 NM/gal no wind. A very efficient way to operate for sure. I'm guessing people don't often fly like this, but interesting to know you can. A pretty stunning fuel savings over a more typical burn I see reported for RV-10's operating ROP at 160 kts and around 12GPM = 13.3 NM/gal

Thanks all for sharing performance points.

Bryan

Thanks for the update. I'm planning on an MT prop--most reports I've seen/heard don't seem to support the "3 blades are slower than 2" trope, so I hope that's the case.

Fast cruise, low burn, LOP

It can definitely be done.

Attachments

• 562709BC-4AF0-48C9-931B-3D6C5F60EFAA.jpg
    562709BC-4AF0-48C9-931B-3D6C5F60EFAA.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 126
Back