What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4A?

Nooooooo

You would loose all your RV friends, the sky would fall and the internet would crash. Don't talk about it any more. I believe someone built one, and he was banished to Siberia for life.

someone built one, and he was banished to Siberia for life

Good thing that is.
And to add one, your friend would earn no respect from Dick, maybe even some chastising.

I think it's been done before.

Attachments

• A9DDDCCF-C32E-4D28-A32A-93602E6ACB08.jpeg
    A9DDDCCF-C32E-4D28-A32A-93602E6ACB08.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 121
  • B25809AB-8798-4171-9B68-BA1919753777.jpeg
    B25809AB-8798-4171-9B68-BA1919753777.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 128
My neighbor had one. The original builder flew it as a taildragger first, and then added a one piece leaf for the mains and the typical rod for the nose. Did it so his wife could fly it. Reportedly it was just as fast in cruise but could land a lot shorter (higher possible AoA). My neighbor bought it in an estate sale and converted it back to the taildragger configuration.

It has been done before. There was an article about it in the RVator (Van's newsletter) many years ago, or maybe it was Sport Aviation.

i did contact the owner at the time to get is drawing since i was building my RV4. since i found that the RV4 is very docile as a taildragger, i drop the convertion project. if any one wish to have the drawing, send me a pm

keep the rv4 flying :rolleyes:

Michel Cote
C-GVFR

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who answered my question..it's not me who is wanting a nosedragger RV4...a friend asked if it was possible and I can tell him that is has been done...and FYI I used to own a RV3 and I loved it and it had a tailwheel...and I sold it to finish a Beech 18 project... Someone once told me that if I could fly a 3 that I could easily fly a P51...he owned both. I'm still saving up for that P51 ! Or another 3...time permitting!

I think it's been done before.

Exactly! Take a look at how beautiful a Beech 18 is.. then look up how ugly a Beech 18 H model is! I just don’t get how someone could convert a plane to a -a model.. would you take a P-51 and convert that to a nose wheel?!

Enforcer

Exactly! Take a look at how beautiful a Beech 18 is.. then look up how ugly a Beech 18 H model is! I just don’t get how someone could convert a plane to a -a model.. would you take a P-51 and convert that to a nose wheel?!

Really! It would end up looking like... well... a P-39...

Or a Navion…

Piper had the chance with the Enforcer project. They stuck with the tailwheel. I’m betting that at least a tiny part of that decision was aesthetics.

Last edited:
Tell your friend not to bother looking for an RV-3A if he decided smaller is better; it's not a nosewheel airplane.

Dave
RV-3B, prepping for the engine

if you build one, you will have to drink non-alcoholic beer, grow a man bun and drive a minivan for the rest of your life also.........

Beech 18

The Beech 18 tri gear was designed by John Thorp for the Volpar Co. It has been installed on converted C45's to H18. From 63 on it was a factory option. There were lots of H18 taildraggers.
I was told by one of the most experienced warbird pilots that if you are a master of the tailwheel Twin Beech that it would be no problem to fly a P51.
I knew a guy years ago who bought a P51, got in it and flew it home.
Remember Jimmy Doolittle never got any transition training in the Gee Bee

Tell your friend not to bother looking for an RV-3A if he decided smaller is better; it's not a nosewheel airplane.

Dave
RV-3B, prepping for the engine

Anything is possible...... RV3.AA nose wheel.jpg

Attachments

• RV3.AA nose wheel.jpg
    RV3.AA nose wheel.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 102
Back