What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS cable routing

trib

Well Known Member
I'm installing a Stratus ESG to replace my KT=76A transponder and get ADS-B out. I already have my GPS antenna for the Garmin 300 XL under my cowling and don't have the room to give the required 1' distance between the two antennas. I was thinking of installing the second GPS antenna in the wingtip. Can I run the cable in the tube with the strobe/nav light wiring or would this affect the signal? I don't know how sensitive the GPS antenna is and am looking for advice.

Turtleback?

Hi Tim,
Why not put the ESG antenna on the turtleback. That's what my buddy did with his install in a -7A.

I'm installing a Stratus ESG to replace my KT=76A transponder and get ADS-B out. I already have my GPS antenna for the Garmin 300 XL under my cowling and don't have the room to give the required 1' distance between the two antennas. I was thinking of installing the second GPS antenna in the wingtip. Can I run the cable in the tube with the strobe/nav light wiring or would this affect the signal? I don't know how sensitive the GPS antenna is and am looking for advice.

Before doing all that, you might try the simple route of putting the Stratus GPS antenna under the cowl, too.

FWIW, I have both my 430W and my Skyview WAAS antennae under the cowl (in fact, on the same tray next to each other), and have had zero problems with either instrument.

Before doing all that, you might try the simple route of putting the Stratus GPS antenna under the cowl, too.

FWIW, I have both my 430W and my Skyview WAAS antennae under the cowl (in fact, on the same tray next to each other), and have had zero problems with either instrument.

Same here, actually touching each other in the tray. No problems as long as they are both receivers - if you have a transmitter in close proximity then that's another story.

Okay, I'll go ahead and try them together in under the cowling. I like that approach better anyway.

Okay, I'll go ahead and try them together in under the cowling. I like that approach better anyway.

Yep, like my Stratus ESG but the antenna is one honkin' big lump. The only flat area on the top of the RV-6 fuse is the deck in front of the canopy (ugh...). My antenna went inside the cowl, too. I have two small GPS antennae next to each other on the glare shield and they play nice.

Back