What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Standard classic oil cooler verses their "HE" unit

George

I had a hard time getting my oil temps down in my 7A here in Texas. (Engine has oil squirters, also) I was running a Stewart Warner 8406R.
I decided on getting an 10611R size cooler. Talked to the folks at Pacific & suggested I try their "HE" Aero-Classic cooler. I was a little apprehensive but ordered it anyway. Since installing, I never see much over 200*F on warmer days. And yes, the cooler is nearly 2X larger than the SW I had.
I know your looking for comparison of HE vs non-HE. And I'm not sure what makes it "HE" (high efficiency). But thought I'd throw this out for you to chew on.
The Pacific Oil Cooler is p/n 8001649.

Last edited:
My temps dropped about 20 degrees when I switched from the Vans supplied cooler to the HE from Pacific Oil Coolers. I now run 180 degrees in cruise and have had no issues with high oil temps since the change- even during the hot southwest Florida summers.

After I purchased mine, same issue up to 238 deg....now it might get to 200
Post some pictures of yours taken from in front of # 2 cyl
I bought the duel pass 9 row and mounted it higher and back further as well as baffling was an issue.
Aero Classic #8001689

We have had excellent service from our HE coolers.
We use this model 8001599 from Pacific Oil Cooler Service.
Probably a 15 degree improvement in a very hard airshow environment.
95 OAT. Full throttle, 2900 rpm, stall speed to Vne, for 15 minutes.
Temps would max out at 220 during performance and be at 240 taxiing in with a SW 8406R. Now we see on same hot day, 205 max and 215 to 220 taxiing in.

Call Wayne Thomas at Pacific Oil Cooler Service

909-593-8400

Back