What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring help needed- Garmin 300xl to Collins IND-350a

trib

Well Known Member
I just purchased a Collins Ind-350A indicator to use with my 300 XL.
The wiring diagram in the Garmin install manual has a pinout for the 351A, but it appears to be somewhat different than the 350A. Does anyone have the pinout needed for the 350A connector from the 300XL? Hoping for some direction :)

You'll find the diagram below. Note that it covers several variants of the IND-350/351 series. For your indicator, the pins related to the annunciator are not relevant.

Enjoy!

I do have the pages from the IND-350A manual you have provided, as well as the install manual for the 300XL. The problem is the terminology doesn't match up between the two and the output from the 300XL sometimes has more than one function on a single pin compared to the indicator. The help I was hoping for was to match which pins on the J101 connector from the Garmin go to which pins on the Connector to the IND 350A? For example, pin 4 on the garmin includes flag-, deviation bar right +, from +, stator E, stator G. Is this connected to all of the following pins on the indicator; 8, 12, 10, 5 and 6? Is stator on the garmin the same as resolver on the indicator?

Refer to Page 5-6, Figure 5-5 in the GNC300XL installation manual. Note the large box on the right of the page named "Navigation Indicator". The functions for each of the indicators are depicted in that box. The terms "stator" and "rotor" are used interchangeably with the term "resolver". Just match up the letters with the pins on the IND350A and GNC300XL and ignore the Garmin MD41 switching relay, as I don't think you are installing one of these - consider the wires as "passing through" this box.

I did a quick match up and came up with this:

GNC300XL - - - - - - - - - - IND350A
1 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 11
2 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 9
3 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 7
4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 5, 6, 8, 10, 12,
14- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 2
35- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 3
37- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 4​

Please double check, as this was done very quickly. On the IND350A, you'll need to wire RESOLVER A and H (pins 19 and 1) to ground + wire the dimmer pins per your aircraft buss voltage. The resolver wiring must be done with shielded 2-conductor wire, usually 24 gauge. 22 gauge is easier to work with but may be tough to fit in the connector shell. The shields must be grounded on both ends of each shielded pair. Use Figure 5-5 for pairing the resolver, flag, and deviation bar wiring.

Last edited:
Tom,

what is the purpose of connecting resolver A and H to ground? What about resolver B?

Back