What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Availability?

aeroaddict

Well Known Member
Greetings. I have been reading the VAF forums for years. I decided that it is time to join as I have recently retired and started to research my dream of building an RV. One of the first issues I have noticed is the lack of hanger availability. My better half and I want to relocate to the western part of the country and I started to search various desirable (for us) locations. What I'm discovering is that there are not many hangers available for rent or lease. I'm using web sites such as Hangerhunter, Trade-a-hanger, etc.. I consider this a first step towards building as I would not want to relocate only to find no hanger space available.

Is it just my search technique or are hangers difficult to come by? Any information or ideas would be appreciated.

Welcome to VAF Dan!

Hangars change hands here in Tehachapi periodically. There's no waiting list that I know of, and I don't know anyone here who wants to be in a hangar that isn't. Most of the marketing is just word-of-mouth.

Most of the hangars here are privately owned and sit on long-term ground leases with the city. Several guys own multiple hangars and rent them on a month to month basis.

I'm not sure what your timeline is, but my long-term plan is to sell out and move back east about 2020 or so.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on where you want to be.
There are almost always hangars available here in Stockton, CA (KSCK), but limited or no availability in the SF Bay Area. It's pretty hit and miss from my experience. Do you have a particular place in mind?

I think your best bet would be to pick a few general locations and post here if people have info on availability. There are many air parks and areas that have airports close to housing. It probably depends more on how much you want to spend!

Good luck.

Our local municipal airport (LVK) has a waiting list for hangar space and thus no need to advertise. But the typical wait time (I think now maybe a year or two??) is about the same as the time from "build in the garage" to "need a hangar" so it works out. As someone else said, you need to look at specific airports.

waiting list

added textkwoodrv9;763031]I think your best bet would be to pick a few general locations and post here if people have info on availability. There are many air parks and areas that have airports close to housing. It probably depends more on how much you want to spend!
Good luck.[/QUOTE]

2nd this.
Welcome. I'm also recently retired and started building. I am waiting for a hangar also. Make a short list of where you want to be then post here. If there is no availablity, then add your name to the waiting list. Look into cost. It may play into the final decision. By the time you need the hangar, your name will be near the top of the list. The caveot of course is you already have a plane and need the hangar immediately. Also, look into EAA chapters in your short list. They are an invaluable source of instruction and assistance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses and welcome. We are primarily considering Utah but most of the western states appeal to us. Not to offend anyone, but we are native Californians and we have no desire to return (have a C172 at PTV).

I guess the take away is to network in areas of interest, go to local airports and ask the locals. And yes I have noticed that "it depends on how much you want to spend", yikes! Good point on contacting local chapters.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses and welcome. We are primarily considering Utah but most of the western states appeal to us. Not to offend anyone, but we are native Californians and we have no desire to return (have a C172 at PTV).

No offense taken! Your OP said "western part of the country" and I think CA qualifies.:D I'm not a native either, but if you HAVE to be in the state, Tehachapi's a pretty good choice.;)

Hangars here at Skypark come up fairly regularly, but I doubt they're posted anywhere beyond the local media, if that - usually word of mouth.

I hung out at the airport while working in the garage - several came up, but never the right hangar, price, etc. Just as my engine arrived, a beautifully finished T hangar with loft, bathroom/shower, kitchen was posted on our tv/radio station's website. I bought it within 8 hours of it being posted!

If you are thinking about the SLC area, PM me, could keep an eye out as they come up, so at least you can get an idea of what they're going for...

Here in Colorado, hangars are often advertised very informally. I found mine at Longmont, CO, KLMO, with a For Sale note taped to its door. A few days ago, I one for sale on Craigslist, so you might look there.

Dave

I thought the weather was so good out west that hangars were not needed..???

Is it just a place to lock your tools, couch, tv etc?? :D

I thought the weather was so good out west that hangars were not needed..???

Is it just a place to lock your tools, couch, tv etc?? :D

The sun and wind do more damage than rain and snow out here.;) I do have a couch in my hangar, but only enough tools to change oil, tires and spark plugs on the 170. The rest of them are at home in the shop where my build is going on. Don't spend enough time out there to justify tv or internet. Maybe in a few years when the RV-7 moves out there...:cool:

My original thought was a hanger for the 172 as it is hanger'd now, plus that I would use the hanger to build. I haven't searched the pros and cons of building at home vs the hanger, interesting question. And no couch, TV or internet at the current hanger, but I do have a refrigerator. :D

We have hangers out here in Southern Utah at SGU and Hurricane also in Colorado City AZ but they are pretty much filled by word of mouth. Cedar City has some and they can be built also there. Most you can find to purchase are in St George at new airport but are kind of pricy. You need to decide if you want to rent or buy and also the location.

Thanks. That is an area of interest and should be able to scout out the area early May as we migrate out of Colorado. Not sure if I would buy right now or not as we will be new to any area and would want to see if it fits our needs first.

I just moved from a shade hangar at University Airport (KEDU) near Sacramento, California, to a T hangar at Yolo Aiport (KDWA) just a few miles north. I got the T hangar because a friend already there knew of one coming open, so I "jumped" to the head of the queue...yes, there is a wait list. Most airports in California seem to have long wait lists, and sometimes, especially if the hangars are privately owned, the only way to get in is to "Know" somebody. It's irritating that it's done this way but that's reality. So I would suggest you narrow your search to a few airports, contact somebody at each one (maybe through VAF?) and make your need known.

building in the hangar

My original thought was a hanger for the 172 as it is hanger'd now, plus that I would use the hanger to build. I haven't searched the pros and cons of building at home vs the hanger, interesting question. And no couch, TV or internet at the current hanger, but I do have a refrigerator. :D

There are lots of threads on this. The consensus is build at home unless the hangar is close. It's so much more convenient to walk into the garage and work than drive to a hangar. Eventually the bird will have to go to the hangar, but there's no reason to run from the comfort of the man cave until necessary.

Larry's right about building at home vs at the hangar, but if you're moving anyway, why not combine the two? Not all 'airpark' homes/hangars are terribly expensive, if you get a significant distance from the coasts & major cities. It might be worthwhile to pick an area, find the airports in that area with an 'R' on the sectional, & call the manager listed in Airnav. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you can buy at an affordable price.

Charlie
Slobovia Outernational (MS71)

Just a quick note back to say thanks to all for the great suggestions. I used Craig's list and mostly the local EAA chapters, all were very helpful.

Looks like we have a hanger in Caldwell (EUL) Idaho.

Now the hard part; moving!

Again, thanks and look forward to utilizing all the great resources here on VAF as I begin the journey.

Last edited:
I highly suggest a walk out basement be on your home buying checklist. Wide sliding doors so you can roll a fuselage with gear on it....way better. Heated, air conditioned and you can stroll down in the middle of the night when you can't sleep and wire up your panel in your boxers....been there, done that.

I can do that in the hanger too....but I suspect Ron and Bob wouldn't appreciate it....and that hour lost in drive time really decreases the desire. Keep the project at home until you just can't any longer. Goes MUCH quicker.

Just a quick note back to say thanks to all for the great suggestions. I used Craig's list and mostly the local EAA chapters, all were very helpful.

Looks like we have a hanger in Caldwell (EUL) Idaho.

Now the hard part; moving!

Again, thanks and look forward to utilizing all the great resources here on VAF as I begin the journey.

Dan,
I am in Meridian right now looking at a project. We may be neighbors! I drove past the KEUL today and thought about looking for a hanger. We need to stay in touch.

Dan,
I am in Meridian right now looking at a project. We may be neighbors! I drove past the KEUL today and thought about looking for a hanger. We need to stay in touch.

Hey Dan and Rocky! Here's one more on the prowl. My son-in-law just started his med school residency in Idaho this month, and so my daughter and granddaughters are there now. Whenever I end up wrapping things up in Albuquerque, I'll likely be settling in an airpark somewhere near Twin Falls, Boise, McCall, or Coeur d'Alene.

I've got a few years to look, but I'll buy immediately if the right place comes along. Let me know what you discover!

--
Stephen

Well I'll tell you the story on how we found Caldwell; basically it had hangers!

My wife and I had looked in NM, UT and ID. Hence the original post as we were not having much luck. Found a couple in UT. But UT, as beautiful as the state is, was not for us. We then left for Twin Falls where we found a couple of hangers for rent. Then traveled to the Boise area and found a couple in Nampa and Caldwell. The cost of living seemed reasonable and the people genuine. Ended up with a hanger (deal in escrow) that had good electrical power, insulated, heated and met our needs size wise. There are still hangers available in Caldwell.

On another note; we visited the Vans factory today and took a ride in the -14. Man, I got to say that is a sweet airplane! I originally was considering the -7 or -8. But after the wife and I had sat in both of them, it was a little tight. We are not overly large people (I'm average and the wife is petite) , but the -14 flew great and was VERY comfortable. Now I don't know what to do!!

Greetings. I have been reading the VAF forums for years. I decided that it is time to join as I have recently retired and started to research my dream of building an RV. One of the first issues I have noticed is the lack of hanger availability. My better half and I want to relocate to the western part of the country and I started to search various desirable (for us) locations. What I'm discovering is that there are not many hangers available for rent or lease. I'm using web sites such as Hangerhunter, Trade-a-hanger, etc.. I consider this a first step towards building as I would not want to relocate only to find no hanger space available.

Is it just my search technique or are hangers difficult to come by? Any information or ideas would be appreciated.
Dear Aeroaddict. I am a builder with my RV9A project at the hangar.4 years later I would say built it at home as VANS recommends! If you want to finish it. By a prefab garage put it in your back yard and GO BUILD!

Ron in Oregon

Back