What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Correct wheel tie bolt torque

LarryT

Well Known Member
For a 5.00 x 5 wheel, is the correct tie bolt torque 90 inch-pounds?

Larry Tompkins
544WB -6A
W52 Battle Ground WA

FYI

I looked on the Cleveland website since I purchased these wheels used. Could not find anything.

Then I searched the forum and found the 90 inch-lbs buried in a Paul Dye post.

Thank you for the Grove link, although these are Cleveland and the Van's builders manual suggests that one refer to manufacturer's instructions, which unfortunately didn't come with the used wheel set.

Have a nice day.

LarryT

Torque Wheel Bolts & Nuts ? For 500x5 wheels: 90 inch-pounds; for 600x6 wheels: 150 inch-pounds.

http://groveaircraft.com/brakeinstall.html

Most manufactures (if not all) put a sticker on the wheel indicating required torque for these bolts.

Also, if you go online and search "cleveland wheel torque RV", it'll lead you to an RV List message thread in which someone has made the Cleveland manual available for download. In it, it lists all torque values for all wheel assemblies.

I looked on the Cleveland website since I purchased these wheels used. Could not find anything.

Then I searched the forum and found the 90 inch-lbs buried in a Paul Dye post.

Thank you for the Grove link, although these are Cleveland and the Van's builders manual suggests that one refer to manufacturer's instructions, which unfortunately didn't come with the used wheel set.

Have a nice day.

LarryT

Cleveland has quite a screwed up, non-friendly web site....:rolleyes:

I think this is the correct document to use for reference -

http://www.parker.com/literature/Ai...WB Static Files for Literature/AWBTSG0001.pdf

Cleveland Maintenance manual chart...

...references "PRM 83" without giving a torque value.

I bought these wheels to install 380/150 x 5.00 tires w/o having to ground the aircraft for a long time. And now I am experiencing the Law of Unintended Consequences:

1. Had the A&P/IA install the tires and tubes. If there was a sticker I can't read it without disassembly.

2. Decided I would be more comfortable with the brake disc spaced a washer width away from the wheel because the tire sidewall and caliper clearance looked close to me.

3. Larger tires don't fit under old wheel pants, but do fit under pressure recovery pants which is supposed to be "free" speed ( to recover $375 cost of gear leg fairing and wheel pant kit).

4. Necessary to alter length of spacers for new wheel pant mounting bracket and correct length for 1/16" offset of rotor to wheel.

5. I am finally? in the home stretch where I am actually going to start aligning/mounting the wheel pants.

This has been so much more work than I anticipated that I would hate to disassemble the wheel only to discover that the wheel torque sticker was removed. I don't know if the IA would even remember, but he is currently 1500 miles away.

Hopefully I will like the results of these changes. In my 20 years at this strip, I have not seen any evidence that a large vibrating type roller was ever brought in. My primary goal was larger tires to deal with the surface. The reported speed benefit was secondary but I won't complain if there is one.

Sorry if I was a little sensitive about the criticism earlier in this thread.

LarryT

ok

looks like I will have to contact Matco, there are no markings to the torque on the wheels or documentation that I received with them. Vans manual says to see the the manufacturing documentation.

bird

...references "PRM 83" without giving a torque value.

I bought these wheels to install 380/150 x 5.00 tires w/o having to ground the aircraft for a long time. And now I am experiencing the Law of Unintended Consequences:

Do you know what assembly or what plane your wheel came off?

Note (7) that calls out PRM83 is only for 2 specific wheel assemblies.

The majority of the torque table is correct with no added notes...

inch lbs, NOT ft lbs

i am sure you all are much smarter than me, but it's inch lbs not ft lbs....please dont ask how i know

neither the parker documentation mentioned above nor the downloaded manual from Cleveland indicate the torque value, only the cryptic "Refer to PRM96" whatever that means.

Back