What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell 3 blade composite prop

I am about to make my prop choice for my IO-390-EXP119 engine.

I am thinking of the Hartzell Raptor 3 blade composite. Anyone have experience with the prop?

I ordered mine Oct 2020 through Van’s and received it last week. I only hope it performs as well as it looks. I will post a picture if I can.

Last edited:
I’ve got the 3-blade “Explorer” (according to Hartzell, that is “the lightweight Raptor hub with ASC-II Advanced Structural Composite blades”) sitting at the freight terminal in Reno waiting on the local truck to bring it by on Wednesday. Hartzell sent it to me to bolt on to the RV-8 to do some testing - I’ll share data on it when I have some!

Paul

Y7tC2g5
I ordered mine Oct 2020 through Van’s and received it last week. I only hope it performs as well as it looks. I will post a picture if I can.

I hope it performs to the level of its price tag! Hope they come down in price by the time I’m ready for a prop.

I’ve got the 3-blade “Explorer” (according to Hartzell, that is “the lightweight Raptor hub with ASC-II Advanced Structural Composite blades”) sitting at the freight terminal in Reno waiting on the local truck to bring it by on Wednesday. Hartzell sent it to me to bolt on to the RV-8 to do some testing - I’ll share data on it when I have some!

Paul

I was in the market 15 months ago, but the price tag of nearly $20k and lack of field experience pushed me to their 2 blade composite. I'll look forward to the report.

I'll have to take a look at these props. I've emailed hartzell 4 times asking about 3 blade options for the RVs and never heard a peep back from them. Didn't know they made one.

I'll have to take a look at these props. I've emailed hartzell 4 times asking about 3 blade options for the RVs and never heard a peep back from them. Didn't know they made one.

PM Sent - couple of very good email contacts at Hartzell.

Back