What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I get rid of the Bendix dual mag

Mitch757

Well Known Member
I've just purchased a flying RV8 with a Lyc IO-360 engine which uses the Bendix dual magneto. It hasn't been serviced in some time so I was wondering what options there are to replace it.

Is it possible to install a Slick in the existing position and a crank sensor electronic ignition for the second ignition?

Other options?

Thanks in advance!

Mitch Garner

Yes, this is what we did on my engine.
The makers of P Mag told me a year ago they were working on a dual system but I haven’t heard anything since.

Scott A Jordan

I'm facing the same issue at the moment. I have a 0360 A1AD with the "dual mag" be interested in knowing what I can stick in that hole to replace it!

Cheers
Nathan Chapman

We can replace dual mag setups with dual CPI or CPI-2s. We have a special cover and spigot to plug the hole. On wide deck engines, we can mountone coil pack on top of the case and one on the engine mount tubes or firewall. On narrow decks, we can't mount the coil pack on top, both need to go on the mount or firewall.

We know there are at least 3 different spigot sizes for Lyc engines. You'd have to measure your shaft size so we can supply the correct one.

EFII System32

We have outfitted countless Dualmag engines with our ignition system.
More info on System32 ignition can be found on our website - www.flyefii.com.

Since System32 is modular, you will also have the opportunity to add electronic fuel injection in the future if you choose.

For more information, please contact us directly at:
[email protected]

Robert Paisley

careful of the drive direction

my 320-h2ad also originally had the dual mag. Things to look out for in replacing it with a single mag - at least in my case, and likely yours, you need to find a right hand rotation mag. Most are left hand. Many electronic options may not support right had rotation.

What I ended up with was a customized Bendix 1200 mag, plus a Lightspeed electronic ignition using a flywheel sensor. I believe it was Arn-Air in Iowa that knew exactly what drive to use and other parts to put together the customized 1200.

You can of course go all electronic but I didn't want to go there because of the possibility of an electrical issue taking out all ignition. A lot of failure scenarios to think through (ground strap comes off the battery, master contactor failure, alternator failure, etc.). To get around all those failure options (with something more than 30 minutes endurance) gets complicated.

If a P-Mag can do right hand rotation, I might consider it instead of the 1200.

Just my $.02

Why wouldnt you just install two CPI or CPI2. The CPI2 has a factory design backup battery. Has your car ignition quit or needed replaced at 500 hours 😊

Back