What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Root foam

Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
Can the 12 be flown without the wing root foam? Would like to fly awhile before painting and I was told the foam is a B*#$% to remove.

I bought some rubber U-channel and put it on the wing instead of foam on the fuselage. Will probably go back to foam if/when we repaint, but it's working fine.

Can the 12 be flown without the wing root foam? Would like to fly awhile before painting and I was told the foam is a B*#$% to remove.

I haven't tried it with nothing, but during flight testing I was using electrical tape to seal the gap, so that is an option. You just have to avoid stretching the tape at all during installation.

I've been using rubber U-channel

for 7 years. I think it was a Beechcraft door seal. Works great.

Wayne 120241/N143WM

Love the tape idea as it is winter her in Pa and I am sure I will be flying in cold weather prior to painting

Thanks everyone!

This works well - -

29yob5y.jpg

I put this on several years ago. RTV about every 6" on inside. Can remove easy.

Foam in the wing root? Is that something new?

Edit: Oh I get it now. The foam weatherstripping tape. Thought you were referring to something else.

Last edited:
I did not install mine until it was painted. Six months of flying without a problem. I didn't notice a difference with it off or on.

Back