What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Closing a Private Airport

PaulR

Well Known Member
I have a friend who is no longer flying that wants to close his private grass strip. It HAS and official designator. He asked me what I thought he needed to do from a liability standpoint to close it. He's not keeping it up anymore and the wild hogs have about rooted it up.

I really think he wants to keep the identifier so IF someone wants to buy the property because of the strip the work is done. Can you just call someone at the FAA and notam it?

Can you just call someone at the FAA and notam it?

Yes you can notam it airport closed until further notice. 877-487-6867. Takes only a few minutes.
Cant answer liability questions. But this would sure seems to help.

i dont think they will notam a private field

i also live at a private field, and last time i spoke with 'the man' to NOTAM our asphalt resurfacing closure, they told me in no uncertain terms they do not NOTAM private fields.

i agree with you, keep it listed as a selling feature. it costs him nothing to have it listed, and if it is private, nobody should be landing there anyway, and even if in an emergency, landing on a private strip is at your own risk. he could easily have the faa put in the airport remarks that it is currently unmaintained.

I communicated with the FAA at this email address when I changed our airfield.

[email protected]

they should be able to help him get an unmaintained remark in.
or he can use this form, http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/form/faa5010-5.pdf

Depending on the age of the airstrip and any special use granted by local, county, or state agencies, closing a private airport or lacking the upkeep may strike it from use or void those special use grants. Where I live there are a few private strips that do not allow landings but the owners must continue the upkeep or lose their designation.

I am sure different rules apply in different locales. Your friend may want to quietly check into it.

Yes you can notam it airport closed until further notice. 877-487-6867. Takes only a few minutes.
Cant answer liability questions. But this would sure seems to help.

Interesting. I wonder if this is another example of the feudal nature of FSDO's. We've attempted to notam hazards on our runway a couple of times while we were having dirt work done (replacing culverts), & were told that notams aren't issued for private (R) strips. Admittedly insane, but there you go...

Charlie
Slobovia Outernational (MS71)

Depends if its Public use.

I'm based at a private airport. 39K . but it is open for public use so thats the difference Im sure. We had a notam issued when the surface was being redone.

Would putting big Xs out on it help at all? That would warn people who might be tempted to land at it not to.

Dave

Pity

I have a friend who is no longer flying that wants to close his private grass strip. It HAS and official designator. He asked me what I thought he needed to do from a liability standpoint to close it. He's not keeping it up anymore and the wild hogs have about rooted it up.

I really think he wants to keep the identifier so IF someone wants to buy the property because of the strip the work is done. Can you just call someone at the FAA and notam it?

If he needs help with the hogs I have a .44 I regularly shoot to 200 yards and am tired of knocking over metal pigs :D

As always, there is a form for that...:)

This FAA form will allow him to deactivate his airport if that is what he wants -

http://aeronav.faa.gov/content/aeronav/Form7480_1.pdf

Another option is to ask that his airstrip be removed from Sectional charts. Being shown on a chart is not a requirement.
Try finding this nice jet strip on your sectional - hint, ask any Nevada glider pilot -

http://goo.gl/maps/I85jo

This is the info for a chart change -

How can I report chart discrepancies?

You are encouraged to bring charting errors to our attention. Every FAA Aeronautical product
contains contact information and brief instructions for reporting charting errors.
You may contact us by mail, telephone, and e-mail:

Mailing Address:

FAA, AeroNav Products AJV-3
Second Floor, Station 2111
10201 Good Luck Road
Glenn Dale, MD 20769-9700

Telephone.......(800) 626-3677 toll free, U.S. only
Telephone.......(301) 344-6341 local, MD, VA, DC
[email protected]

Back