What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

She doesn't want to turn over

Stump

Hi,

I am asking for some guidance on what to look into with the following challenge:

O-360 Lycoming, Bendix mags, skytec starter, concorde battery.

Once or twice it seems i turned the key to start, would hear a clunk from the front of the plane, like a relay or solenoid, then a pregnant pause, then the prop would start turning.

Tuesday last I turned the key, got the clunk as per normal, then nothing. the prop refused to turn. tried a few more times then gave up. Put the battery on the charger for a few days, although it was fully charged in a couple hours.

Today, tried again, same problem, clunk but no turn over. Pulled the prop through a few times, tried again, and this time a definite pause then it started turning over. got it running, ran for a bit. on the next start, again a bit of pause before turning over.

I suspect the starter perhaps, my best guess is it is original to the plane so maybe 2005sh, but not sure what else could be causing the challenge? the ignition switch?

about to start the annual next week anyway with my neighboring A&P, but I know there is a vast amount of corporate knowledge here to tap so thought I'd ask.

thanks in advance.

ps, yes i did spend the better part of a day searching the threads, sadly i failed to find much on starting issues...

ps, yes i did spend the better part of a day searching the threads, sadly i failed to find much on starting issues...

Try the Sky-tech web site. I believe they have a trouble-shooting guide the may be helpful (even if you don't have one of their starters)..

Battery

I was going to say--sounds like your battery is not fully charged. I had this problem once when a loose ground resulted in the battery being unable to charge which the engine running.

Try charging your battery for a couple of hours and see if the engine starts like it should. If so, the problem is your charging circuit.

-Matt
402BD

Thanks!

Vlad, excellent link, thanks much, my apologies for missing your article in the first place. Need to learn to work my searches better.

Thanks everyone, will see how it goes.

Stump

Back