What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is your commute time to your RV?

Me & My RV

Vlad,

I have to push a button (to open my hangar door) before going down a 14 foot flight of stairs. :p

Can I vote two ways here?

We have a AirChalet (part of the hanger) at an Airpark, where we live (weekends and hollidays etc). if we are not working. But it is over an hour drive to get there.

Not far...

We are just 5 miles from the airport. It has always been a priority to live close to the airport. It is sooo nice to be close to home after a 3 hour leg.

Utterly unscientific survey:

How long does it take you to drive, walk, ride, fly, or swim from home to your RV, and how many times a month do you make the trip?

(Specify whether commuting to your RV to *build* it or to *fly* it :))

44 seconds

assuming i remember to bring the key to hanger door, it's a short walk, a preflight, open the hanger doors and off we go.

Oh boy I think I am a winner here :( Last week I complained to my cousin it took me 2 hours 37 minutes to get the airport. Back about 1.5 hours. Flew only .4 how it looks?

20 min no traffic.
30 min w/traffic.

Wife not interested in airpark (no Starbucks a block away). <g>.

Last edited:
44 Seconds

Im with Stump on this one. I can make it in 15 sec. if I run press the remote button and the door is opening while checking the oil:D

Its all in a great day of work.

10-15 minutes; try to make it out once every weekend, but if the weather's nice and I go flying my projects always seem to get put off. Go figure

15 minutes most days. About 5 days a week when I'm home and not in some third world hellhole earning all those avgas $'s I just spent :)

10-15 minutes each way, and there is hardly ever any traffic. Spring, summer and fall I get there 1 or 2 times a week, but less often in the winter.

I also go to the airport every Wednesday when I'm not required to be in the office downtown for work. EAA43 has an informal lunch once a week at KBJC, and there is usually 20-30 people there. Sitting around at lunch talking about planes and flying is one of the best parts of being near this airport. Sometimes I even go see my plane.:D

Almost Daily

7 minutes.. door to cockpit..

enough times to fly about 250 hours a year..

5 minutes. And now that the plane is back together and the weather is cooperating, I've flown 4 times this week. Think I'll fly again tomorrow, too. I try to go have coffee every tuesday and/or wednesday 10am at the field. Come on over if you're in the area. Free coffee and usually cookies if you fly in.....oh who am I kidding we have free coffee even if you drive in, it just taste better when mixed with morning 100LL.

5 minutes. And now that the plane is back together and the weather is cooperating, I've flown 4 times this week. Think I'll fly again tomorrow, too. I try to go have coffee every tuesday and/or wednesday 10am at the field. Come on over if you're in the area. Free coffee and usually cookies if you fly in.....oh who am I kidding we have free coffee even if you drive in, it just taste better when mixed with morning 100LL.

Just for the heck of it I just did a quick calculation what it would take for me to be in the area... 1310nm, 80.1 gallons, and 7h17m....that's an expensive cup of coffee but would make for a great trip :D

too long

45 minutes one way - but, I'm in my bosses nice heated hangar with living quarters and he doesn't charge me. I can't complain. I should figure out how much in fuel to drive there and back and compare to a closer hangar to rent.

A few minutes

I have a 5 minute trip, then option to fly to work (15 min flt to KGSO), but its hard to drink my coffee...I spend more time at the hangar than at home(not including day job hangar)...Good RV community at the fun airport, and try to fly at least 4 days a week.

Just for the heck of it I just did a quick calculation what it would take for me to be in the area... 1310nm, 80.1 gallons, and 7h17m....that's an expensive cup of coffee but would make for a great trip :D

anyone who flies more than 1000nm, I'll fire up the grill and will eat Montana Ribeye instead of coffee and cookies. :)

but, I'm in my bosses nice heated hangar with living quarters and he doesn't charge me. I can't complain

Neil's not my boss, but I hangar sit for him. let's see...feed the cat, pick up the mail for free heated hangar. I don't complain and I'm not hangar shopping either.

My last hangar was a pretty sweet deal, close to home with a 4 minute drive, 5 on a busy day. But alas, the hangar was sold and I got kicked out to a new place that doubled my drive time. Now it's usually it's 8-9 minutes, but if it's the evening "rush", make it 15. I try to get out there a coupla times a week. I envy the airpark guys...

18 minutes front door of house to front door of hangar. Walking. 6 minutes on the bicycle.

About 45 minutes on foot from the office, or about 15 minutes on the bicycle.

Any day it's sunny I leave work and head there before going home. Some days I fly, some days I putter around and watch airplanes take off and land instead.

Just got back from timing it - 21 seconds from my study to the middle of the hangar (if the back door doesn't stick). :D

Building is cheating...

But I'll say 5 seconds if I'm in the bedroom. 30 seconds if I'm at the clothesline out the back. :D

Building it in the garage. :p

30min +-a few depending on traffic/time of day. normally, i'm headed opposite to commuting traffic :)

would not want to live further and it is a huge factor in any discussion about a new home in the future...

40 to 50 mins depending on traffic. Could keep it at work but more chances of hangar damage and flying out of an international airport can be a bitch sometimes.

It looks like it will take Paul, Rob, Joel, and Steve just to cancel out Vlad's numbers!

It takes me longer to open the hangar door than to get to the hangar door. My pre-flight is typically about 5 minutes.

I try to fly twice a week but it averages out to more like once per week.

Last edited:
10 seconds

I think I can beat Wesael! I always hit the hangar door button as I exit my living room and I can be down the stairs and pulling my 6a out within 10 seconds. Now, if I stop to close my oil door and pull the pitot cover off, it may take me at least a minute! :p

Poll?

I would like to have seen this post set up as a poll, with accompanying bar graph. Oh well.

I'm still building, but it takes me about 10 seconds to get from my main level to the garage/workshop in the basement. Having the project close really helps me keep moving on things.. Especially since we recently had our first child. It's even within baby-monitor range! :D

5 min.

About 5 minutes each way. Worse yet, I can see the hangar and airport from my house/office. Makes for poor work efficiency on days with nice flying weather.

*building* so shop is 5 seconds out the back door.

Once complete, my commute will be 5 minutes. I can see the rotating beacon from my driveway. :D

In fact, when we were looking at purchasing this house, an old Cherokee was over flying the back yard and the relator asked if that was a problem....I looked at her, grinned, and said let's make an offer.

Dream is to live at an airpark someday.

And, the winner is?

Absolutely shocking I'm sure, but my drive time to the air patch is 90 minutes at least and exactly 96 miles driveway to hangar door. And I'm not the only one. Trust me, it's for purely economic reasons. Hangar rent of $225/month vs $650/month. You guys figure that out. In South Florida (East coast side) you have really North Perry(KHWO), Ft Lauderdale Intl, Ft Lauderdale Exec (FXE), Pompano Airpark (PMP), and North of that Boca Airport, before getting into the Palm Peach area. Everybody wants North of $600/month. I guess, if you want a palm tree outside your hangar your gonna pay for it, plus real estate, taxes, and whatever else. Wow.

My hangar at Airglades Clewiston is almost brand new with hydraulic door so that's cool. Comes with lots of spiders and other bugs being out in sugar cane country. Other cool guys from the coast come out during the weekend to work on their planes, etc. Do I like a 190 mile drive to go fly when I do, heck no! But it works right now. I am still saving money driving out there even with car gas what it is vs paying the $650/month just to hangar the RV. So there you have it. Maybe I'll win the award for longest commute time to hangar and plane. I refuse to leave it outside tied down in that FL heat and rain, etc. and yes I do have a nice cover from Van's for it.

You guys that have a 12 second walk from house to hangar are lucky dudes. Count your blessings. I met Paul Dye and Louise at SnF this year and they seem to have a nice setup at their place in Texas. I'm still working on that but where are the aviation jobs? Well nice chatting on hangar commute time. RVJeff, out..

Oh, must add, I'm flying, not building. I would never do this if I was building. And I guess Vlad has me beat if he drives 2 hours plus if I understood his post correctly. OUCH!

Jeff Liebman
RV-8. N139JL
365 TT on the Hobbs
Superior IO-360 Hartzell BA Prop
Airglades Airport, FL

Last edited:
15 Seconds, but I remember when...

I am blessed to live on my airport by my hanger and runway so it's a 15 second out the door walk to hanger to my -4. HOWEVER, all you out there with your one hour plus hikes, I sympathize and can relate! I worked at the Pentagon in DC a few years back as a non flying staff officer for a couple + years and HATED IT!!!! The closest I could find a small hanger was near Warrenton, VA. A fun airport but $400 hanger fee and 60-90 minute drive from my apartment in DC. But you know what, even after that nasty drive in DC rush hour traffic, just spending a few minutes sitting in my first RV-4 and sometimes just making airplane noises and wishing I could fly helped me keep my sanity in that world. And then I'd make the long drive back into town. I'll never forget that. Hang in there, it's worth it!

Tailwinds,

30 minutes each way

2 or 3 times a week I divert to the hanger from work to fly my 7A instead of going straight home. :)

6 min to the RV, 1 hour to talk to friends at the airport, so 1 hour 6 min before I get to plane! ;-)

150 foot walk from house to hangar. Don't worry about the key because the hangar's always unlocked.

FAA guy was here today to give me my Repairman's Certificate; drove out from San Antonio. The first thing he said to me was "I always wondered what the pot of gold at the end of th rainbow looked like and now i know!"

30 seconds

30 seconds out my kitchen door. Hangar attached to my house. I'm one house from the parallel taxiway and a 3 minute taxi to the end of predominant runway.

I feel very blessed!!!

Back