What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this considered NIB?

Mitch757

Well Known Member
I received this red cube recently which was described as "NIB"in classifieds. I was surprised to see one screw unseated and another broken off.

Obviously I can't put this thing on my aircraft and asked for a refund...with no reply.

Sad that someone on VAF would do this.

Mitch757

Attachments

• IMG_2921.jpg
    IMG_2921.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_2919.jpg
    IMG_2919.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 298
I received this red cube recently which was described as "NIB"in classifieds. I was surprised to see one screw unseated and another broken off.

Obviously I can't put this thing on my aircraft and asked for a refund...with no reply.

Mitch757

Sad, I agree. It might still be worth it if you have the time to send it to EI and see if they will repair it. If you are in a rush, I could send you one and you could send me that one after it is repaired. I didn't use the one that came with the G3X but kept it as a spare for my RV-10. Anyway, most of the people here, even the lurkers who don't subscribe, are pretty good folk. Don't let the occasional idiot leave a bad impression.

Mitch757

Contact your local Postmaster and see if they are interested in a mail/wire fraud investigation. Sometimes even the threat of doing so is enough to get a scammer to make you whole.

Mitch...sorry that happened to you. Certainly looks like someone "screwed" with it and now you have to wonder if it works properly. Have you tried extracting the screw with the various methods available? I guess it would be possible to flow test the thing on the bench and count pulses vs volume flowed, but really don't know.

Thanks for everything guys. I'm not in a hurry to get it installed, just thought I would save a buck or two on the cube.

Not blaming VAF at all, just disappointed in the "seller" and myself for not looking at his participation on VAF...only selling things.

I'll contact EI soon to see what they say about repairing it...and definitely won't be buying anything else from "OutdoorAviator".

I've dismantled a bad one for information purposes. The rotor cover cannot be removed without breaking an internal wire, rendering the unit inoperative. The wire-side cover in the OP's post has nothing under it which can be repaired; the electronics are potted.

My guess is the unit is bad, and someone tried to open it.

Here is what you'll find.

I suggest Doug ban the seller after one attempt at contact.

Attachments

• Potted Electronics.jpg
    Potted Electronics.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Share the seller name so we all know and stay away!

"Outdooraviator" is the seller, and it appears he edited out in the original FS post where he stated it was NIB. Shun this guy like the plague!

Red cube

I agree with Dan. No one would attempt to take the cover off unless it was not working.

I've dismantled a bad one for information purposes. The rotor cover cannot be removed without breaking an internal wire, rendering the unit inoperative. The wire-side cover in the OP's post has nothing under it which can be repaired; the electronics are potted.

My guess is the unit is bad, and someone tried to open it.

Here is what you'll find.

I suggest Doug ban the seller after one attempt at contact.

"Outdooraviator" is the seller, and it appears he edited out in the original FS post where he stated it was NIB. Shun this guy like the plague!

Still says NIB in the thread title, though: https://vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=185195

One thing I'll point out is that his profile shows the last time he was online was 7-30, two days before Mitch added the reply regarding the state of the item. It's possible he hasn't seen the communication and that's why he hasn't responded.

That doesn't change the fact that this is definitely not a NIB item.

"No user-serviceable parts inside" definitely applies here, and it's obviously not "NIB" either.

I agree with DanH that OutdoorAviator and any other user name that Victor might try to re-register under should be permanently banned. There is ample evidence here of unethical behavior.

I can attest to the fact that the post said the Red Cube was NIB. I saw it posted and considered contacting the selling. Not really needing one now I didn't proceed.

BTW... If his address is near me in AZ... Let me know, nuff said...

Last edited:
I also saw it listed as NIB. This is not acceptable and poster needs to be banned regardless if he responds or not. This is obvious bad behavior! We don’t need this.

Anyone know Vincent J. Berardino of Yuma AZ. Possibly having flown a Cozy MK IV at one time?

Its certainly possible the HE thought he had a NIB. Also possible he is not particularly active with email and things.

NIB.......

More Definitions for nib
nib noun
English Language Learners Definition of nib
: the pointed metal tip of a pen......................:D

OutdoorAviator

I PM'd him one more time asking for a refund but got no reply.

Watch out for this guy.

Mitch Garner

Back