What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van’s RV 10, the little plane that can!

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Just finished a flight from 9A0 (Lumkin County Ga) that included stops and layovers at:

KHOT (Hot Springs Ar) KCWC (Wichita Falls Tx) KSAF (Santa Fe Nm)
KIFP (Laughlin/Bullhead Az) KPRB (Paso Robles Ca) KWJF (Lancaster Ca)
KOKB (Oceanside Ca) KDNA (Dona Ana Nm) KTKI (McKinney Tx) and finally back to 9A0.

In this trip we had days with blue sky, ones with winds 40-50 knots (With a take off in head winds at those speeds), mountain flying, IFR flights, a departure from an airport with a 6400 feet DA at gross weight (still got 600 FPM climb out) days with light to moderate chops over terrain, and finally a 30 plus knot tail wind on the final flight back home (ground speed of 196 knots). Other than a flight in icing conditions (Pass on that) this was the little plane that handled it all and handled it so well. It is definitely the little plane that can. All while burning 11 GPH or less.

During my 4.5 years of building this plane I would hit those points wondering if it was worth the time, sacrifice, and frustration. After this trip, the answer is most definitely YES. So for those still building, hang in there because once you are done you have a plane that stands alone in its class. Sorry Cirrus drivers…..

It is definitely the little plane that can. During my 4.5 years of building this plane I would hit those points wondering if it was worth the time, sacrifice, and frustration. After this trip, the answer is most definitely YES. So for those still building, hang in there because once you are done you have a plane that stands alone in its class. Sorry Cirrus drivers…..

Couldn't agree with you more!! Worth every minute of build time! It's not only a great plane to fly, I find every minute spent cleaning, repairing, and maintaining to be therapeutic. I've enjoyed every aspect of building, flying and owning an RV-10!

Last edited:
Yes, I couldn't agree more. Since I've built mine others have asked what would I like to build next. I really haven't come up with answer, there are lots of exciting options around but none really offer the utility of an RV10
Martin

The funny thing is how many people think its a Cirrus from a distance. When they ask what it is I say it’s a Vans RV10, and it’s better than a Cirrus…..

Heartbreak…..🙁

One of the saddest days in my memory was watching my -10 fly off to its new home…After 11 years of pure joy and amazement, she had to go when both of my kidneys quit.

Remember, I flew 46 seasons of Ag, with my airplanes at gross weights or more, on hot days, so pushing the envelope was a way of life, while avoiding obstacles, so I’m good at evaluating performance.

The RV-10 was nothing but amazing…fast, roomy and economical..an airplane that can’t be beat.

Regards,

Back