What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Precise Location of Instrument Panel (7/7A/9/9A)

AndyWW

Well Known Member
Hi,

I'm at the stage of building out the forward fuselage for my very-slow-build RV7 slider, and have the forward top skin F-7106 clecoed on (that was difficult!). The instrument panel F-7103 is clecoed on at the top to the 3 ribs and the F-7103B&C angles, but the little brackets (F-721C and F-721D) are not yet attached to the forward deck.

The instructions just say to "Fit and drill the the F-721C and F-721D attach angles to the panel and the F-721A deck". However there is still a reasonable amount of flexibility in the panel and I can push it a few 32nds fore and aft pretty easily, which leaves some uncertainty in the precise location of these attach angles and consequently in the bottom of the panel.

I don't want to end up with the panel too far forward (and possibly interfering with the stick), or twisted in some way. I've looked in vain for some measurements on the plans to determine how far back it should be, but can't find anything.

Am I missing something obvious or can anyone give me a few pointers here?

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• Drawing 24 extract.jpg
    Drawing 24 extract.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 204
Fitting the angles

I fitted the F-721C angle supports on the top of the deck first, using a long straight edge (1200 mm) across the longerons to align them with where the ends of the 7103-B angles meet the deck. Once those are drilled and cleco'd in place with the panel attached, the side angles F-721D can be fitted, while clamping the lower edge of the panel to a long straight edge. (Note I'm building a 6A that is essentially the same as 7/9 in this area.) The actual dimension on my plans is 23 inches from the back of the firewall to the aft base of the instrument panel.

Last edited:
It is pretty critical to fit the panel in the correct spot so it does not interfere with the closing canopy - at least on the tip up. My panel was slightly tipped or too close to the pilot and when my friend was doing my phase 1, the canopy got stuck. It was fixed by filing the front edge of the panel but it was tricky for him to get out!

Thank you to both of you.

I measured the firewall to panel distance on my 7 and got more like 23.5 inches. But I can't see that dimension anywhere on the plans. I think it's a good idea to start with F-721C since there is less scope for variation on that one.

On the slider I think there is unlikely to be a sticking issue but I do want to make sure the position is correct... That was a scary but slightly funny story!

If anyone has any dimensions they could measure on a 7 that is free of interference and working well, I'd be very grateful.

Top skin

I have a slider. I fit everything forward before trying to locate the instrument panel. All that substructure and the top skin were clekoed in place. The 7103 angles were also clekoed to the skin. After that the panel only fit where it slipped into place. I had to file the panel a little. It fits flush to the ribs and the 7103 angles. Once clekoed to all that, it doesn't move much.The small brackets were positioned based on where the panel landed when it was clekoed to the ribs and angles.

Last edited:
Ditto What Larry Said

I have a slider. I fit everything forward before trying to locate the instrument panel. All that substructure and the top skin were clekoed in place. The 7103 angles were also clekoed to the skin. After that the panel only fit where it slipped into place. I had to file the panel a little. It fits flush to the ribs and the 7103 angles. Once clekoed to all that, it doesn't move much.The small brackets were positioned based on where the panel landed when it was clekoed to the ribs and angles.

What Larry said.

Back