What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Experimental Placard Placement?

Has anyone put "Experimental" on their wing walks instead of on the rear baggage wall (RV-7)?

I found a place that does custom skateboard grips and I came up with a design that incorporated "Experimental" into the wing walks on both sides.

FAR 45.23(b) says it must be displayed near the entrance to the cockpit or cabin in letters that are not less than two inches or more than six inches high.

To me it seems like on the wing walk would meet that.

Has anyone tried anytihng like this before and had a DAR tell them it didn't fit the requirement?

Attachments

• Wing walk 3.jpg
    Wing walk 3.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 150
Has anyone put "Experimental" on their wing walks instead of on the rear baggage wall (RV-7)?
I found a place that does custom skateboard grips and I came up with a design that incorporated "Experimental" into the wing walks on both sides.
FAR 45.23(b) says it must be displayed near the entrance to the cockpit or cabin in letters that are not less than two inches or more than six inches high.
Has anyone tried anytihng like this before and had a DAR tell them it didn't fit the requirement?

This will meet the requirement.

Mel,

Are the RV-3, RV-4 and RV-6 eligible for the 'NX' numbering (and elimination of the experimental decal) due to the age of the designs?

Mel,
Are the RV-3, RV-4 and RV-6 eligible for the 'NX' numbering (and elimination of the experimental decal) due to the age of the designs?

YES, They are! ref; §45.22(b). §45.22(b) also allows for these aircraft to display 2" numbers.

Last edited:
So when will the RV9a be eligible for NX numbers?

My research shows the original first flew in 1999. If that is true, it would be eligible in 2029. I'm sure that Van's can either verify or correct this information.

Last edited:
My research shows the original first flew in 1999. If that is true, it would be eligible in 2029. I'm sure that Van's can either verify or correct this information.

You are correct Mel.

Even though having experimental on the wing walk would meet the placard requirement I would not do that myself. The reason being is all the small little parts within the letters are very vulnerable to being torn loose by people pivoting and rotating their feet while standing on the wing. I’m pretty sure that it would not hold up well.

If it was done, I would start with the E at the top and do the lettering from top to bottom.

E
X
P
E

That's where mine is. But I don't consider it near the entrance...... as long as the FAA does.:eek:

Thanks for all of the replies.

Mel, I appreciate the DAR insight you provided here and everywhere else on the forum.

I went ahead and ordered one of the skateboard deck grips (err.. Wing walks). I figured for $20 it is worth a shot on quality.

I’ll report back if they end up being worth it or not.

You are correct Mel.

Even though having experimental on the wing walk would meet the placard requirement I would not do that myself. The reason being is all the small little parts within the letters are very vulnerable to being torn loose by people pivoting and rotating their feet while standing on the wing. I’m pretty sure that it would not hold up well.

I think you're right, and the sharp corners on those block letters would make it that much worse. One might be able to mitigate it somewhat by rounding all the corners, inside and outside, so as to remove the 90 degree angles. Might help.

"experimental" hyphenated?

If it was done, I would start with the E at the top and do the lettering from top to bottom.

E
X
P
E
This question is for a DAR.If vertical format is acceptable,
can "EXPERIMENTAL" be placarded hyphenated as
"EXPERI-
MENTAL" ?
I'll explain - I want to place it on the under-side of the tilt-up glare shield between the two defrost fans. The space is limited to 11.5" wide and that's the only way to get 2" letters to fit there.

I think you're right, and the sharp corners on those block letters would make it that much worse. One might be able to mitigate it somewhat by rounding all the corners, inside and outside, so as to remove the 90 degree angles. Might help.

I understand where these concerns are coming from, but I think with the production method on these, the graphics are printed and protected below a laminate that acts as a grip. So the intricacy of the design has no bearing on the integrity of the piece, and from the surface, it's actually a single, uniform, abrasive type grip. (No individual pieces or letters like a vinyl decal.)

They're meant to be stood on and kicked around when on a skateboard, and are actually very durable—again regardless of the design.

This question is for a DAR.If vertical format is acceptable,
can "EXPERIMENTAL" be placarded hyphenated as
"EXPERI-
MENTAL" ?
I'll explain - I want to place it on the under-side of the tilt-up glare shield between the two defrost fans. The space is limited to 11.5" wide and that's the only way to get 2" letters to fit there.

I'm not aware of any regulation prohibiting this, but I would avoid it if possible.

In my opinion, it detracts from the intended "Obvious" notification. I would discuss this with your intended Inspector.

Entrance question

In reference to 45.23(b), the aircraft can be entered from the left or the right side. There is a passenger assist step attached to the left side. If I put the EXPERIMENTAL on the wing walk can I do just one or are both sides required?

In reference to 45.23(b), the aircraft can be entered from the left or the right side. There is a passenger assist step attached to the left side. If I put the EXPERIMENTAL on the wing walk can I do just one or are both sides required?

The placard needs to be obvious to ANYONE entering the aircraft. If the cockpit can be entered from either side, then the placard needs to be on both sides.

Back