What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 rudder lock

greghale

Hi Guys,

I had a problem concerning the need for a sturdy rudder control lock for my airplane when parked over night. I have seen a lot of ideas and had even incorporated them on my airplane, but I still wasn't satisfied. I thought I would share a simple control lock that should secure the rudder in strong winds.

http://www.nwacaptain.com/rudder_lock.html

Greg...
Total Time: 125 hours.

That is very similar to the one we have.

Not sure it needs the big bend, but hey, whatever works for you. :)

I like it Greg - I've seen people make them out of bent hinge wire, and they just fold up with a breath of wind - those rudders are big!

I don't think he's any more likely to forget it than any other "remove before flight" item, since he's got a nice flag on it! (last photo)

Needs More Diagonal Angle

Greg, I’m reluctant to take shots at your design, but honestly I think it would probably fail in much wind. With the small amount of angle you have in the diagonal brace you subject the attachment points to allot of force due to the leverage of the rudder. I think it will fail at the attachment points, probably the screws into the tail. I'm not an engineer but I have quite a bit of experience with diagonal bracing in construction.

Move the hole in the rudder horn as far out as you can without jeopardizing the hole for the cable. Then I would like it better.

Met you and saw your 10 at Sun-n-Fun. Very Nice.

Eulice
Rebuilding RV-10

Last edited:
If folks are concerned about really high wind conditions, just make two of these, and put one on each side.

Rudder gust lock

I too worry about protecting the rudder in the severe winds we experience in the Southwest. I think that an external gust lock is a more secure method than trying to limit travel from the pedals, there is just too much play in the cables. I have seen various method of locking the rudder, but each with some limitation. The PVC pipe hoop around the rudder and vertical stabilizer is hard to beat in the KIS department, but I always look for a more elegant design. My favorite method is to support from the fuselage to the rudder horn, but attaching an angle to the skin is a failure waiting to happen. In my RV8 there is a longeron in the right place to provide the necessary strength, but that's not the case in the RV10. So a couple of hours on the mill provides a support that is bolted thru the aft bulkhead of the fuselage and the forward spar of the vertical stabilizer. Steel clevis bolts attached to the support penetrate the skin to provide you with an anchor for stainless steel 1/8 inch rods to pick up the rudder horn. The obligatory red streamer and CIGAR check complete the solution. I would attach images of my mod to this post, but I can't figure how to get permission to do it?!?

I I would attach images of my mod to this post, but I can't figure how to get permission to do it?!?

You do not attach images.

You host the images in a place like Picasa, or SmugMug, and then you insert a link to the photo in your posting.

If folks are concerned about really high wind conditions, just make two of these, and put one on each side.

I initially installed something very similar to this on my -10, and after an evening @ the Cedar City airport with 60 kt winds, it broke loose. It turned out that there was a MINIMAL amount of play with it only on the one side and a night of occilations/wiggling took its toll....... so I replicated it on the other and now i'ts rock solid. I haven't experienced any 60 kts ground winds lately , but I'm confident it will stay the course.

Deems Davis

Play in the cables? Is the concern that a little play will allow it to work back and forth?

Another consideration is getting out of the plane in gusty winds. With a gusty 25 knots you have to pay attention where you point it before getting out to secure it. I'm using the Bogey bar jammed in front of the seat cushion. Certainly not a final solution but it does allow me to get it on and off with my feet on the pedals.

Bill "still figuring out try next as a lock" Watson

Back