What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a little help.

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
I am looking for someone in the Sacramento area with a RV 10 under construction.

I am looking for someone who has the fuse still opened up at the top cowl area, so I can get a set of templates for making insulation inserts to fit in the various odd shape pockets the angle bracing create.

Would also be nice to have the firewall forward not done, so I could also make a firewall template.

Ideal would be a slow build, with the firewall all braced, but not installed in the fuse, as in figure 2 on page 27-2.

Thanks in advance.

Sacramento RV

Mike I would love to help ya, but still working on slow build wings. I will be doing the slow build fus, also, so if you are not in a rush i will be glad to help ya.

When u going to fly down to the Nut Tree and take me for a ride in that thing. I will treat for ice cream at Fentons afterwords. Heck i will even help with gas. HEHE

john Cumins
40864 Wing top skins

Maybe I Can Help

Mike,
My slow build is about at the point you described with the exception of my firewall being installed. I?m on section 41. However I am in Florida. I was just thinking this past weekend that I needed to accomplish the sidewall insulation while the access was still good. There are a couple of places in the sidewalls I have already closed, sidewall panels F-1080 and F-1081 which are already riveted on. I may or may not be able to find the templates for these. I think I tossed them.

So, when I get finished with my sidewall templates I could just send them to you. I used tyvek (home wrap) for the floor insulation templates. Worked well, should ship easy. Unless you just want to do the measurements yourself. I am an ex-finish carpenter now construction manager so I am pretty handy with the tape measure.

I take it you have decided that sidewall insulation would improve the comfort of your RV-10? Are you planning on insulation on the backside of the firewall? I am still up in the air about the firewall (front or back or both), but would be glad to do the templates. What about under the upper forward fuselage? I think it should be insulated. Can you still access that area?

Let me know.

Eulice Curington
RV-10 Fuselage #40596

Thanks!!

Are you planning on insulation on the backside of the firewall? I am still up in the air about the firewall (front or back or both), but would be glad to do the templates. What about under the upper forward fuselage? I think it should be insulated. Can you still access that area?

Let me know.

Eulice Curington
RV-10 Fuselage #40596

Eulice, thanks for the offer.

I am looking to insulate the back side of firewall. And the front side as well.

I already have insulation on the rear of the firewall, but I am going to be taking it out.

Dan Horton did a burn test on the insulation I currently have installed, and it is just plane bad stuff.:eek:

The plane is already flying, so the area under the floorboards is not accessible, and upper cowl area is almost totally not accessible.

If you could make up a set of Tyvek templates for the firewall, one piece front, and all the misc shape pieces for the back, I would be in your debt for sure.

I will send you a PM with my mailing address.

Thanks again.

can I come, can I come...

John, Mike,
Could I tag along to Fenton?s?? I can?t help any with you RV 10 Stuff, as I?m building a RV 7 in Fairfield (just on the edge of Vacaville) and would love to meet some local RVers. But definitely, don?t plan it around my ability to attend, but if it works out I?d love to meet you guys.

Wall flower

I have been a member of Sacramento RVators, but I think my membership has expired. There was some confusion, I had paid a couple of years in advance, then the move down here to Fairfield??bla?bla?bla, I only attended a couple of meetings, and typically RV everyone was friendly, but, given the choice of working on the plane or going to a meeting?.I?m probably a bit anti-social, or at the very least socially inept, luckily my wife makes up for many of my shortcomings!

Mike,

I insulated almost everything from firewall to baggage bulkhead. Made my templates with a sheet of clear acetate(about 0.020" I think) placed on the outside of the fuslage. Just mark off the rivet lines for each piece, then add or subtract 3/8" to the edge, depending on which side of the rivet line the flange comes off. Quick, easy an accurate.

Jim Berry
RV10

Mike,

I insulated almost everything from firewall to baggage bulkhead. Made my templates with a sheet of clear acetate(about 0.020" I think) placed on the outside of the fuslage. Just mark off the rivet lines for each piece, then add or subtract 3/8" to the edge, depending on which side of the rivet line the flange comes off. Quick, easy an accurate.

Jim Berry
RV10

Jim, that is a good example of out of the box thinking.

I suspect there are folks out there going "wish I had thought of that"

Unfortunately, not going to work for my needs, as the firewall is just too full of stuff in the way.

Insulation?

Mike,
have you found a material that is fireproof for the inside of your firewall?
The subject has been rehashed a few times and I thought I read somewhere that you where going to rip it all out.
Just curious.

Ernst, yes, I think so.

I am going to remove the material that is currently in the plane, and replace it with a ceramic product.

It is from the same folks that make the material Dan Horton has recommended to use on the engine side.

I am still waiting on more info from the manufacture----but I am pretty sure they have something suitable.

http://www.fiberfrax.com/

I am looking at either the Durablanket, or the Duraboard.

I also plan on installing insulation firewall forward, as per Dan's setup.

Last edited:
Back