What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL-00033 for RV-10: Request field inspection of main gear weldments and floor panels

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Van's has published a Service Letter for the RV-10, SL-00033, which asks owners at their convenience to inspect and submit findings to Van's related to the condition of two components: the main landing gear weldments, and the forward cabin floor panels.

The Van's factory prototype RV-10 (serial number 1) developed cracks in the locations described in the letter. This aircraft is frequently used off-airport, off-pavement, and for extensive transition training. Our purpose here is to collect data from the field to determine the extent to which the same issue may or may not appear in other RV-10 aircraft.

Note that there is no specified requirement nor timeframe in which the inspection described in the letter needs to be completed. We would, however, very much appreciate timely reports from all owners of flying RV-10 aircraft.

The service letter asks owners to inspect, photograph where appropriate, and then submit the results of what is found to Van's via a web-based form. Thank you in advance for participating.

This form link in the .pdf isn't active from the looks of it. Are you still looking for feedback on these cracks?

This form link in the .pdf isn't active from the looks of it. Are you still looking for feedback on these cracks?

Looks like the main Vans website has reverted to an earlier version, from sometime in early 2019. My guess is it's down for updates/maintenance.

Super, it worked today, thanks Greg.

I got to take a peek this week with a camera as I had the seats out. No cracks that I could see on mine. Without a camera, it's nearly impossible to get to 2 of the locations without pulling the upper seat platform off, but with a snake type camera, both areas are accessible.

Looking at the location of the cracks in the floor pans, and being close to the step where I will install these, I wonder if there are any possible prophylactic measures to be taken.

Would Van's make any recommendations regarding increasing the corner radius at the cutout in the floor panel where the landing gear mount passes through?

Back