What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to buy alcad for modifications

I'm getting together parts to do a conduit in the VS and it appears that most create a doubler in the top rib. How do I determine what thickness that rib is and where is the best place to acquire a small amount of spare alcad for such purposes?

Thanks to you both.
I also realized the kit comes with a "trim bundle" that is essentially scrap aluminum that can be used for practice or custom parts. I was able to get the thickness of the part I wanted to create a doubler for from Vans, but wondering--is it documented anywhere accessible to the customer, what thickness each part is?

vernier

I use a digital vernier gauge to measure sheet thickness, it's worth adding one to your tool collection if you don't have one already.

There is a table of contents for each sub kit (empennage, wings, fuselage) that includes a list of the sheet metal parts with the type of aluminum and thickness.

The quicker way is to get a pair of calipers from harbor freight. They're cheap and you'll use them all the time.

I'd also recommend getting more than you need for just that mod - there'll always be a next modification for which you'll use it :)

As for determining the thickness you need, AC 43.13 is your friend, but you don't have the design data from Van's to take the fully scientific method (e.g. you don't know in what direction each part will be stressed and with what force). Personally, I used .063 for that doubler and later after having more experience realized that was way too thick :) Maybe .032 or .040 is more than enough?

(I personally also like having some in each common thickness in the shop so that it's available when I need it - I keep .025, .032, .040, .063, .080, .125, though most times I'm using .032 or .040)

Thanks to you both.
I also realized the kit comes with a "trim bundle" that is essentially scrap aluminum that can be used for practice or custom parts. I was able to get the thickness of the part I wanted to create a doubler for from Vans, but wondering--is it documented anywhere accessible to the customer, what thickness each part is?

Trim bundles are great .. I often include one or two with a Van's order. Generally they are 4" x 12" (ish) in varying thicknesses. A caliper will help you select the piece you need. It generally comes in an assortment 16, 25, 32, and 40 mil thicknesses .. maybe some thicker pieces from time to time. Super useful during a build to make small parts, as jigs to hold things together, etc.

There is a table of contents for each sub kit (empennage, wings, fuselage) that includes a list of the sheet metal parts with the type of aluminum and thickness.

The quicker way is to get a pair of calipers from harbor freight. They're cheap and you'll use them all the time.

Careful with the Horror Fright caliper selection. At least one of the models only measures to +/- 0.010" which is a useless piece of **** instead of a unit that properly measures to 0.001".

Back