What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Initial Flight - RV8

jumbo_flyer

First flight for N842FM at San Geronimo Airpark (8T8).

I had a highly experienced RV pilot do the initial flight. He said it flew smoothly and had no roll bias. 2 issues: prop RPM indication problems and both radios were weak transmitting.

I'll will have to wait until the weekend to troubleshoot. I am sure there will be more tweaking/adjusting/fixing still to come.

The journey of the build to the maiden flight has been an awesome experience (still learning). Though there have been many, many, many, many, many frustrations and challenges, I am glad I was able to see the project completed (major help from my mentor-Les Bourne).

Fred McMahon
RV8
Test Phase

Congratulations Fred!

The project you started years ago took flight today as a result of your grit, determination and perseverance. What an incredible achievement. All the better that it took place on The Fourth of July.

Fred you did it! The bird is airborne that's what matters. When you are done testing come to our woods. It would be my honor to take a couple pictures of your ship here.

Look at these guys an AF and a Navy jocks. :D

congrats Fred! an experienced test pilot is worth their weight in gold.

the unspoken word: wise

Congratulations Fred and welcome to the world of the RV-8. I predict you will love flying this plane.

Most of us had a few issues after first flight - minor though they might be. My experience was most issues related to electrical problems like radios were caused by poor grounding. Always check the ground first, if that's the issue the fix is easy and could save lot of time troubleshooting the unit.

Chris

Back