What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Light options

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
Closing in is my delivery of my QB wings. Prior to shipment I need to decide if I want the stock Wingtip and Lenses or not. That decision depends on my choice of landing lights.

I fly now and plan to fly in the future at night. So the brightness of the landing lights is a concern for me. I also would prefer not to cut into the leading edge of the wing so that seems to limit my choices a bit.

I'm leaning towards the Aveo Ziptips right now. I talked to another Justin who put them on his RV-10 and he said they're extremely bright. He did say he had some issues just because he was the first person to install him. Cost is a bit of a factor too, one place I call quoted me at $2400 for the set... so you deduct the stock tips and lenses and you might be looking at $2K for this solution (not including a rudder light).

The other option is to use AEROLeds in the stock Wingtip's regular place. Looks like you could a pair of Pulsar NS90s & two Sunray Plus's for the landing lights. Plus you can but a complete set including the rudder position/strobe for around $1600.

I'm looking to see if someone has installed these AEROLed Sunray's into the tip and find the light bright. I know that's somewhat subjective but bright to me would mean seeing the runway at about 50 ft up.

So I'm on the fence, if it turns out these AEROLed's are similiar in brightness to the Aveo Ziptips then it really just comes down to the $800 delta and if the neatness and 180 degree recognition of the Ziptips is worth it to me.

Thanks

RV-10 Cowl Landing Light kit

Aerosport has a Landing Light kit for the RV-10. The housing was developed off of a 3D scan of the cowling, so the fit is perfect. We offer these housing kits in conjunction with the Baja Designs Squadron Pro LED Bulb. You get a 4300 lumens off of 42W/3.5A. Below are links to webpages for both the kit from Aerosport as well as the LED from Baja Designs. Our price for the full kit with the LED is only $449.95.
Let me know if you have any questions. I can send you the installation instructions via email if you would like more info.

Thanks

Zac

Aerosport Products RV-10 Landing Light Kit
http://aerosportproducts.com/landinglight2.htm

Baja Designs Squadron Pro LED Bulb
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=490003

Check out the Aeroled Aerosun VX

The aerosun VX looks like a really nice unit. Saw it at oshkosh. It WILL fit the -10 wingtips but you have to use an adapter kit that they have. I was going to use this unit but I have the SafeAir1 ER tanks and it was questionable if the VX units would fit with the ER tanks...

I ended up using the Duckworks install for HID but will be using the Baja Designs in the place of the HIDs.

Cutting the leading edge for the lights was no big deal...

For what it's worth, I find the stock landing lights work for me. I had to replace one bulb in four years - because I dropped it. I got a dozen new ones from Amazon for ~$20. They are not the brightest and such, but even on a dark night taxiing back to the hangar on unlit airpark streets they are more than adequate.

So unless you are routinely landing at night on unlit strips, the option is to save your money for avgas.

I do have the AEROLeD nav/strobes for the wingtip and tail. I recommend them - but to prevent RFI in your radio you need to add a piece of aluminum on the inside of the wingtip under the units, and have the unit ground wire as short as possible to this piece of aluminum (mounted under the unit bracket hardware). From this same spot run you aircraft ground wire. This eliminated the RFI for me.

Carl

Hey Zac, I thought about that. With your kit do you then get something else for the WigWag bit in the wingtips?

Dont forget about Duckworks!!

Duckworks has an LED option for the RV10

It is a 22W ~2400 lumen light that is focused into a tight 6 degree pattern to be enable getting the light pushed out a long distance. The installation is straightforward and has been described as easy by many people.

Most people say the hardest part of installing one of our kits is deciding to cut into the leading edge!! Once you make the first hole, the rest is easy.

For two of the 22W LED kits for the RV10 (part number LL-3LED-RV10) it is $560. We have also done RF testing on all of our LED lights to ensure they are RF quiet so they dont interfere with any of your radios.

You can find these on our website here:
http://duckworksav.com/LELightKits.html#LE LED Kits

Richard Squires
Duckworks Aviation LLC

Duckworks has an LED option for the RV10

It is a 22W ~2400 lumen light that is focused into a tight 6 degree pattern to be enable getting the light pushed out a long distance. The installation is straightforward and has been described as easy by many people.

Most people say the hardest part of installing one of our kits is deciding to cut into the leading edge!! Once you make the first hole, the rest is easy.

For two of the 22W LED kits for the RV10 (part number LL-3LED-RV10) it is $560. We have also done RF testing on all of our LED lights to ensure they are RF quiet so they dont interfere with any of your radios.

You can find these on our website here:
http://duckworksav.com/LELightKits.html#LE LED Kits

Richard Squires
Duckworks Aviation LLC

is there a provision to retro fit into an existing Duckworks HID installation?

Not to hijack Zac's comment, but rather to add to it a bit... The Baja Designs Squadron Pro lights are very good. To put things in perspective, 4300 lumens is something like 2+ times as bright as the Whelen Parmetheus lights that we see installed as replacements for the typical 4509 incandescent bulb. The Squadron Pro is also available in different beam patterns, making them well suited to a combination of taxi/landing configurations.

If you want to sear your retinas, take a look at the XL80 - a 9500 lumen unit from Baja...
http://www.bajadesigns.com/products...lighting/offroad-led-lighting/xl80-led-lights

(I only wish I was getting some form of kickback from Baja for my comments here - I'd likely use it to buy more lights from them! LoL)

is there a provision to retro fit into an existing Duckworks HID installation?

This taken directly from the Duckworks site:

Upgrade/Retrofit Kits

Now, you're asking yourself, "What about me? What if I want HID or LED for my existing Duckworks light?" Well, you're in luck! The new round lamp will retro-fit to the Rectangular mount, with a very small modification and the new retaining bracket.

Similarly, the new LED will retro-fit to both the Rectangular and the Round mounts, with a small modification and a retaining bracket.

See our FAQs for questions. Click here to go to Upgrades page.

This taken directly from the Duckworks site:

Upgrade/Retrofit Kits

Now, you're asking yourself, "What about me? What if I want HID or LED for my existing Duckworks light?" Well, you're in luck! The new round lamp will retro-fit to the Rectangular mount, with a very small modification and the new retaining bracket.

Similarly, the new LED will retro-fit to both the Rectangular and the Round mounts, with a small modification and a retaining bracket.

See our FAQs for questions. Click here to go to Upgrades page.

Hey Thanks!

So to backtrack a bit my original plan when I first started working on the kit and was thinking about this stuff was to do an AeroLed Nav/Strobe in the wingtips and Suntail on the rudder. Then I was going to either use the cowl light from Aerosport or two of the leading edge kits from Duckworks.

My concern on the cowl light was that it shakes around a bit. Maybe it's just my 172 but the light bounces around a bit on landing. Then as stated my concern on the leading edge lights was cutting it in.

I guess I should put those ideas back on the table since people have had good luck with them.

Cutting the LE

Justin -
This is one of the items I've held off on for the same reasons. What I can tell you though is that you will have multiple opportunities to become an expert at making surgical incisions on your build in the meantime so that you'll be well practiced. There was an access panel on the QB wing and also the fwd tunnel access panel that I've installed - both very similar cuts.

I'd suggest holding off until you're done with the fuselage. Nothing says it has to be done now. I did my control surface connections on the QB wings, but my lower skins are still not riveted - so that'll all get buttoned up at the end. Its not intimidating to me at this point. Electrical though, that's another animal. :cool:

I'd suggest holding off until you're done with the fuselage. Nothing says it has to be done now. I did my control surface connections on the QB wings, but my lower skins are still not riveted - so that'll all get buttoned up at the end. Its not intimidating to me at this point. Electrical though, that's another animal. :cool:

I went with both the QB wings and fuselage, so the only pressing item on the light choice is do I remove the stock wingtip and lenses from the order. And that's only if I go with the Aveo Ziptips, if I don't then I have all kinds of time to figure out the choices.

I went with both the QB wings and fuselage, so the only pressing item on the light choice is do I remove the stock wingtip and lenses from the order. And that's only if I go with the Aveo Ziptips, if I don't then I have all kinds of time to figure out the choices.

My crating date is in three weeks and I need to make this decision soon. I haven't heard from Aveo since January. I sent a msg to them the other day for an update but haven't heard back yet. I will probably end up with the stock wing tips unless they step up their game.

My crating date is in three weeks and I need to make this decision soon. I haven't heard from Aveo since January. I sent a msg to them the other day for an update but haven't heard back yet. I will probably end up with the stock wing tips unless they step up their game.

Another reason I might not go with the Aveo option. I sent some emails, finally got a response but was told there were some personal things going on and they would reach out to me later. I can understand that, but it's been a month so I'm assuming later isn't going to happen. Edit- Just emailed them again and got an almost immediate response saying they are available and will send me some details tomorrow.

No matter because I think the product looks good and I received the answers I was looking for through a user. Now to order it I picked a name on their re-seller and called them. Also noticed ACS was on there so I just called them and they had no clue what product I was talking about. He sent it over to their PO group to see what they can dig up.

I'm going to guess that Aveo has a bigger customer base they're chasing than the GA Experimental group. So if the hassle outweighs any benefits then they'll be removed from the table as well.

Last edited:
Another reason I might not go with the Aveo option. I sent some emails, finally got a response but was told there were some personal things going on and they would reach out to me later. I can understand that, but it's been a month so I'm assuming later isn't going to happen.

No matter because I think the product looks good and I received the answers I was looking for through a user. Now to order it I picked a name on their re-seller and called them. Also noticed ACS was on there so I just called them and they had no clue what product I was talking about. He sent it over to their PO group to see what they can dig up.

I'm going to guess that Aveo has a bigger customer base they're chasing than the GA Experimental group. So if the hassle outweighs any benefits then they'll be removed from the table as well.

Same issues here. I am very understanding with personal issues but I really wish they would keep us updated.
What reseller did you contact?

So to backtrack a bit my original plan when I first started working on the kit and was thinking about this stuff was to do an AeroLed Nav/Strobe in the wingtips and Suntail on the rudder. Then I was going to either use the cowl light from Aerosport or two of the leading edge kits from Duckworks.

My concern on the cowl light was that it shakes around a bit. Maybe it's just my 172 but the light bounces around a bit on landing. Then as stated my concern on the leading edge lights was cutting it in.

I guess I should put those ideas back on the table since people have had good luck with them.

Justin I have over 300 hrs on my cowl light and I know there are many more out there with the same hrs or more with no problems.
With the Baja LED the nose light really lights up the center of the runway.

Geoff

I installed the stock 75watt vans supplied wing tip lights and then installed the Aerosport Baja design landing light in the cowling. I wig wag the wing tip lights until 75 knots and have the cowl light on continuous during landings. With this combination the runway looks like daylight. If you do a search in the rv10 list on landing light you will find some photos of the installation and actual night photos. The nice thing about the cowl light is it is centered on the runway

AerosunVX with Safeair tanks

It takes a bit of doing but the Aerosun VX will fit with the ER tanks. You need to do some fiberglass work on the stock wing tips.

Just a quick update, I've decided against the Aveo Ziptips, as cool as they look it's been a challenge to get information about the product. If I have to fight to try and order a set I can't imagine what post sale customer service would be like or worse replacement parts. Add time sensitivity to finalizing my order and at this point I need to think about other options.

Moving forward what I might end up doing is getting the AeroLED tail and wingtip lights minus any landing light. For landing lights I want to see if I can somehow mount a set of Baja Squadron Pros, in my wingtips as others have. At that point I'm a bit left without a taxi light and don't want to taxi around with my landing lights on so mounting another Baja light on the cowl might do the trick.

Whatever I decide I'll document it and post it here for consumption.. Not removing the tips I have plenty of time now.

I'm in the same boat as Justin. I haven't been able to get timely info from Aveo so I just confirmed my wing kit order from Van's with the stock wing tips. I'm still open to a ziptip retrofit but I need to move forward.

Last edited:
LED Drop-in replacement for Vans Wingtip Landing Light?

I've done a bit of searching but haven't found a drop in replacement. Anyone know of one?

My plan is AeroLeds navigation lighting, the stock Vans wingtip lighting (or preferably with a drop-in LED replacement) and the Aerosport Baja Designs cowl landing light.

Thanks!

Not a drop in kit per se, but assuming these flush mount versions fit in the tip then you can make the hole and use some adjustable screws to aim.

491003.jpg

Aerosun vx and safeair er tanks

I can confirm that the aerosun vx lights doesn't fit with safeair er tanks. I had to cut the front corners off the er tanks and had it re welded and pressure/leak tested

Just fired up mine over the weekend. Baja Squadron Pro 49-0001 (spot beam).
Set my wingtip on a table 10-12? from the hangar door
then stood back maybe 25' to take the photo. The reflection
was too bright to look at directly.

Bluelabel?s post #24 has a link to the excellent write-up by Mike Bullock.

dowief.jpg

Guys Im interested in the Baja Squadron Pro. Seems like some issues with their website. Can anyone suggest another source for these lights?? Thanks G

lumen output/amp draw for baja lights

Does someone have the lumen output and amp draw handy for the Baja series of LED lights? Cheers & thanks in advance. Mike

Guys Im interested in the Baja Squadron Pro. Seems like some issues with their website. Can anyone suggest another source for these lights?? Thanks G

Good call on the Baja Designs. I bought mine through Ebay a few years back. Since then so many vendors sell them -- I think they are even available through Amazon. I have a couple of hundred hours on my set and they still blow my mind at night. However, the best part is on a sunny day hearing the control tower compliment you on being the most visible airplane in the sky on a 5 mile final!

John,

Did you make any changes in the install vs what was shown in the thread? I'm still trying to decide whether to cut into the wing or just add the light to the wingtip.

What did you do for taxi lights? (I can't tell if the Baja lights are dimmable or not)

Good to hear that the Baja design are quiet as a mouse. I'm going to have a Nav antenna in the wing tip as well!

I did the baja designs instal similar to what's in this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=105248&highlight=Baja+designs

And while we haven't flown yet, I've fired them up at night to test the distance and aiming, and WOW!! Pretty awesome. But, I already knew the lights were amazing as I use them on my motorcycle and truck.....

Silly Question?

Hey. I am still years away of this topic. But the other day I was thinking about it.

What would be the downside of simply installing a light that is used in my VW car. I think they are called H7. Bright enough for the highway. I had to one break in 10 years and trust me I drive more hours than I fly... They cost like 10$ and are available everywhere?

Concerns? Heat? Weight? Vibrations? I dont know?

1-239.jpg

Baja Designs Squadron Pro

I couldn?t resist the Baja squadron pro lighting when I saw the pair kit at Rocky Mountain for $335.96 free shipping.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/3825/Lighting

Copied Mike?s installion. Thanks Mike. I believe the wingtip installation on the -10 is a little tighter than the -7 from the looks of Mike's pictures. Even though I installed the baja?s as far outboard as possible they still are slightly behind my strobe lights. Not sure this is a problem. The lights are definitely still bright. As others have said, you cannot take a picture or look straight in at the lights when on. The picture just washes out.

I already had the duckworks HIDs in the leading edges. I am going to use these as taxi lights by pointing slightly down.

Eulice Curington
RV-10, N104EW

The problem with car headlight bulbs is you need a reflector element of some sort. For cars these are quite large.

I am going a different option using the "amazon" 14$, 18W (1.5 amp draw), 1200+ Lumen, bike/motorcycle option that weighs in at 0.5 lbs, 2.5" round front profile, all aluminum construction, with easy attachment/adjustment bracket fab. Yes made in China, but I suspect all the LEDs talked about in this thread are made there (unless a TSO'd item). Ran it for 45 min and could touch with ease, very effective cooling. This option will be matched up with the cowl light, the comments and pics in this thread are impressive. Not sure what will go for the light but the Baja brand seems like a real contender.

Thanks

The problem with car headlight bulbs is you need a reflector element of some sort. For cars these are quite large.
I see...

I am going a different option using the "amazon" 14$, 18W (1.5 amp draw), 1200+ Lumen, bike/motorcycle option that weighs in at 0.5 lbs, 2.5" round front profile, all aluminum construction, with easy attachment/adjustment bracket fab.
What is it called? Link?

Baja Design XL80 Driving/Combo

http://www.bajadesigns.com/products/XL80-Driving-Combo-LED-Auxiliary-Light.asp

Anyone tried this light yet? It's more than twice the grunt of the Baja Design Squadron Mike Bullock pioneered, but I figure you could use the version with the diffuser on the two lower lights to improve the taxi visibility, without sacrificing the long range performance compared to Mike's light. The only downside I see is the 80W draw and associated wiring, and that potentially the taxying capability could be limited by the shape of the tip. This I guess could always be rectified by a singly wide angle light in the lower cowl.
Tom.

Last edited:
Just a fair warning about the XL80 LED. It is in a larger version than the squadron pro LED's in terms of the housing size. Just something to keep in mind as their website doesnt clearly demonstrate the size difference. (Or at least not when I last checked)

FWIW

Aerosport Products (VAF Advertiser and Baja Designs Distributor)

I couldn?t resist the Baja squadron pro lighting when I saw the pair kit at Rocky Mountain for $335.96 free shipping.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/3825/Lighting

Copied Mike?s installion. Thanks Mike. I believe the wingtip installation on the -10 is a little tighter than the -7 from the looks of Mike's pictures. Even though I installed the baja?s as far outboard as possible they still are slightly behind my strobe lights. Not sure this is a problem. The lights are definitely still bright. As others have said, you cannot take a picture or look straight in at the lights when on. The picture just washes out.

I already had the duckworks HIDs in the leading edges. I am going to use these as taxi lights by pointing slightly down.

Eulice Curington
RV-10, N104EW

Thank You VERY MUCH for this tip, it is the best price going! I have been hung up on the prices, but this on beat them all! I ordered yesterday and confirmed they are the real deal. DR gets a share of the savings in the next installment.

Just a fair warning about the XL80 LED. It is in a larger version than the squadron pro LED's in terms of the housing size.

Thanks for the heads-up Zac. It appears the XL models are more than twice the weight of the Squadron versions, so I can only presume the physical size is also significantly larger. That blows my idea of being able to maintain the same long range distance plus taxi capability with the diffuser. I guess I'll have to look into cowl or wing root mounted lights in addition to the regular lense Squadrons in the tips.

Tom.

Back