What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Salvaged RV-10s?

mds4878

I'm New Here
Sad as it is sometimes a RV10 gets salvaged.
Ted Chang had a fire last year and his RV10 got sold for salvage but thanks to his quick thinking and a little luck he walked away.
What I'm looking for is who bought the plane and or any other RV10's that are sold for parts. Mainly the front seats with foam so if anyone out there can help me please call or message me
Mike. 612-590-8604

Ted's RV-10 was being rebuilt by a gentleman in Valkaria, FL. I cannot recall his name.

Ted's Plane

I have it but I cannot help with the seats. I am reusing some of the parts on my plane as they were not damaged. The seats were not damaged.

Eulice Curington
RV-10

Last edited:
Recent Rebuild Progress

As I stated above the RV-10 project is coming along. It is starting to look like a thousand other RV-10 projects worldwide with a few exceptions. Mine has a mix of new parts and old parts.

Eulice Curington
RV-10

Last edited:
spar carry through

Good Luck with your rebuild. May I ask what you did with the main spar carry through inside the fuselage?

Hi Eulice,

I did the estimate for the owner/insurance company. I took many photos and examined the wreckage very closely. Having built a few RV10's I was rather intrigued with what I saw, especially with the main fuse spar and underlying fuse skins. I was almost burnt alive in an RV10 engine explosion and resulting crash, and having seen the aftermath of what happened to the fuse and spar in the fire I asked the question about your repair. In my case the spar literally disintigrated.

I have many thoughts and concerns about this and would be available to discuss if you care to follow up. I'll be at Osh for most of the week but would be appreciative of your time if you care to talk off-line when I return.

No need to reply here but I can respond to an email when I return if you are interested.

email is: [email protected]

Good Luck and Best to You and your project.

Rick,

The center spar was removed, all parts (seat brackets ect.) removed, spar cleaned, inspected, alodined, primed with zinc chromate, and then reinstalled.

I suspect you ask because you saw the insurance list the center spar as damaged, or you may of saw the plane after the fire. I was prepared to replace the spar, but the inspection, with the help of a corrosion engineer; it was determined not necessary. There was some smoke and heat damage to the powder coating, as seen in the first photo's I posted, and some small pieces of the forward spar webbing that were bent. The bending was limited to a small area on the lower flange of the web on the outside edge corner, right were the main gear bracket sticks through the floor.

Thanks,
Eulice

Last edited:
Back