What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A500 tail light strobe combo light

Bart

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the whelen A500 strobe tail light unit is still being sold? Apparently Vans stopped selling it and spruce has it on a 8 week factory back order. Mine quit and I want to replace it but there doesnt seem to be a current vendor???

Back to Whelan?

You could just pull it and send it back to Whelan for repair; it's probably a lot cheaper than a new unit. The have decent service and would probably turn that in a couple days.

I thought I read another thread on the Whelen LED lights, which concluded that Whelen says the LED does NOT meet the requirements of an anti-collision light. Since on the standard 10 (no rotating beacon) the strobes are the anti-collision lights, that would seem to rule out the LED's for meeting the night flying equipment requirements.

KUNTZLEMAN ROUND COMBO TAIL LIGHT

I am also in need of an tail light combo to plug into a whelen strobe driver for my -10. I was thinking the Kuntzleman combo would work. It has a led position light and old style incandescent strobe. I have not bought it yet but ACS sells it.

Anyone see why this would not work? I would be mixing the old style wingtip position lights on the same circuit as the LED tail position and mixing different manufacturer strobes.

Eulice Curington
RV-10 Building

Back