What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT HUD with Garmin EFIS (G3X

JohnD.TF4

Greetings all,

Just daydreaming an RV-8 panel here:

I'm thinking of using a GRT mini as a backup to a Garmin G3X Touch display (10"). I know that the G5 would be easier to integrate, the reason for the mini is so I can run a GRT HUD up top. (I'm a Garmin fan, if they had a HUD I would be all over it.)

Does anyone know how well (or not) the GRT talks with the G3X?

Also, if I make a HDG, ALT, or BARO input on the G3X will it transfer over to the GRT?

(Note: I did not have a hud representation for the figure thus the second mini EFIS above the panel)
_XClcWfpK4Fslu9JYTmbafDihWCZ0nvFBhzDPcwFA8e3IHu-BdBjIYOAnsVNLgkt8PYsUkRKem9DkC1e9EZDbvcR7Tz_e0JhRXI1LNe9BeVI_wlv0u6q5jeqfDbPdzctGUPINNJqrRIZXObomjp2YoXbxOWFO1MJTPDVNDyPa9bDX6abgDcepvkIbd0Sj4chv0RxLznvzvJ-0fwCQcVDFqEDE-L-jNa3iFKIQljiWtjn_p-OqqkhmGlWR38ERJ4Wi4C8SFvAYb2pcWLsoCV5eN9obGqPRl529biui22H2lWgvhYzlAgMjOEtpa4h9vg3famWCD5Zg7BdnYlpPTlLqT3KwF_zY6sb2T9XH2KTzVSii2eTgiwcJNvJgBGpIM53B145oNbWfw-RjqGKAbHn6Eqi86_a3f2hknP-Dr_Lox-mVpyM73zwnhGCMUqvWmIE8pkzWvq_9KP7V3dhMqlcALuHgRBMvRhtrSQIoQSyWcxeDikAQle4wOz_E2M0QqZehrpSh2dzU26F9gDF0kvnTHWftxumri-wgiaXMH4Ns1SC2s6ypciUgVCnb1QUnaitIIaXUzd18DTT7wrMndcdao8dEJBiw25mPlYHIjFQRfaR2EyirJ6UNmUVBlHeyFbNlIV1D6lbpY6PwNo9aejn44xSgnMzkBJRgeUTW6eHdiol5XzysCtjoEHg4BnkKnMQLIVfHmHHfQ_9vni-ySosIFpeVmsLgBfRjXUaWaWVGDIR2XNa=w1374-h745-no

Happy flying,

You might be able to use the GRT as a Nav source within the G3X but that is about it. The bugs will not sync between the two that I am aware of.

There is an open source HUD that can speak to the G3X that uses the same projector as GRT. It does not have all the features of the GRT Hud due to the limited information presented on the G3X’s serial stream.

Using the G5 with the G3X is the way to go....

Last edited:
G-5 integration vs GRT

IMHO....if you do a plus minus analysis it would be G-5 hands down.
The G-5 does a lot more than offer a standby HSI. For example, the G-5 is on the can bus, and will drive the G3X HSI if your GSU-25 ADHARS fails. The only thing your will notice is a revert message on the G3X. It's good to have a stand alone emergency HSI, but it's even better if your cross check doesn't have to change.

I've been flying the Doll for nearly 20 years now and I have not missed having a heads up display. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against them. My 2000 C-5 Corvette has one, and my wife's new 2020 RX350 has one too. On the Doll, I avoided having anything on the glareshield obstructing the excellent visibility of the RV-8. Some builders mount a whisky compass or AOA indicators etc and reduce their forward visibility. All I have is a GPS antenna up there with no loss of vis. Food for thought!

One last thing. My current (and last) panel is my third panel. I learned from each attempt and other aircraft I helped build. It was important to me to make access as easy as possible. My current panel can be removed in eight (8) minutes. That's not a misprint. No more upside down under the panel with my head resting on the rudder pedals! When you can have the center panel completely out of the cockpit in eight minutes, and have access to everything to the back of the forward cargo compartment....that's serviceability. PM me if you would like details on how to do that. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited:
Functionality

I have GRT in my plane and have used Garmin in many others. The Garmin interface with the flight director using the control panel is very intuitive. The GRT isn't as much. The HUD would be driven by the GRT and this would require you to control the flight director and autopilot using the Garmin system and the HUD using the GRT. That's a lot of button pushing while trying to intercept the ILS. I'd stick to one system or the other.

Is this VFR only. I don't see a TSO GPS or is that remote?

What ya think of my panel post - it would be interesting to list the projected cost. :eek: :D

Back