What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel leak IO-360 Help needed

markscogg

Well Known Member
Started a IO-360 on a 6A this morning. Got some smoke, immediately shut down.
Took off Cowl. With throttle off and mixture at idle cut off, turned on electric fuel pump. Pressure would slowly leak down.
Can hear a bubbling sound at the number three fuel injector. Gas drips out of the airbox no where else.
The number three cylinder does have a very small copper line that (I think) runs to the fuel pressure gauge.
Have no idea what is happening.
Ideas?
Did try turning the engine two blades, sound stayed at number 3.

What fuel injection system are you using? Airflow Performance FI systems do not entirely cut off fuel flow at ICO so pressure would slowly bleed down. Don't know about other FI systems.

Smoke on initial startup is normal.

Started a IO-360 on a 6A this morning. Got some smoke, immediately shut down.
Took off Cowl. With throttle off and mixture at idle cut off, turned on electric fuel pump. Pressure would slowly leak down.
Can hear a bubbling sound at the number three fuel injector. Gas drips out of the airbox no where else.
The number three cylinder does have a very small copper line that (I think) runs to the fuel pressure gauge.
Have no idea what is happening.
Ideas?
Did try turning the engine two blades, sound stayed at number 3.

The line in the #3 cylinder is for manifold pressure (MAP).

There should be no fuel coming from the air box, obviously. Call the manufacture and gets some suggestions on what might be wrong. It may be due for OH.

Smoke in cockpit

We had smoke in the cockpit within 15 seconds of startup. :eek: Started coming up around out legs. It was not oil smoke, no smell. Had to be from leaking gas hitting something hot.
I jumped out as the pilot was shutting down, there was some smoke coming from the front of the cowl as soon as the prop stopped turning.
Bendix fuel injection.

My experience with my I0360 fuel injection. I found that if I were to use the Boost pump at start up and leave it on more than 2 sec. say 10 sec. I would flood the engine and it would put fuel in the intake air box.

I do not quite understand why, but I used the fuel boost on a cold start up (about 2 sec,). But never used it on a hot start.

Others on the site may be able to tell me why. But that sounds like you have the same situation?
Dave

Cold start

It was a cold start, ran boost pump for no more than 2 seconds.
Have had the plane for 2 years, never seen smoke before.
We had the impression that the plane would have caught fire if we didn't turn the engine off immediately. It was not minor smoke in any way.

Back