What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nevadan wants help to get the horse before the cart

xcnick

I thought buying the hanger before the plane was backwards, but I did this anyways. However when I looked up on Van's website for an instructor they are only teaching people who already have an RV which is almost worse.

I would love to meet someone who can introduce me to these wonderful planes I have dreamed about most of my life.

Quick introduction to myself. I fly sailplanes out of Minden, NV (MEV). I have no need for a plane or a mission it would fulfill. I just always thought when I retired I would build an RV. However now I can actually afford one it seems buying a flying one makes more sense.

The member listings show many people at Carson, Dayton, Reno, and even one in Gardnerville (Minden) and one in Incline. If any of you have your ears on and feel inclined to talk, post or send a PM.

I would love to read from anyone what questions to ask of sellers or instructors.

Buying a hanger, then the plane, then learning to fly it seemed backwards at first, but maybe this is how it is done?

thanks
nick

Hi Nick,

I'm down at our cabin in Big Bear for a few days - should be home early next week, and we'd be happy to help you get invovled. Drop me a PM, and we can figure out a time.

Nick,
As a guy new to experimental aircraft, you may not be aware of the major restriction: the airplane cannot be used for compensation or hire. That's why you see cfi's giving instruction to pilots who already own an RV. It is possible to get a waiver of the 'for hire' rule, but only for pilots with a need for transition training - usually meaning pilots who are near completion of a build or buy of an RV. Of course many RV pilots are willing to give you a short ride for free.

Bob

the major restriction: the airplane cannot be used for compensation or hire.

I am looking for the most advice to make the best of the situation.

I have plans to get some tail dragger time in a Luscome with a local instructor, weather permitting, but that is hardly the hot rod an RV is. I sold my last sailplane to a fellow with a Cessna 195 who has offered me some training, but I have no idea how similar that is. (Cool plane though) I flew it a bit but never landed it. He is an ex airline pilot who needs to get his CFI updated before he can train me. Should I pursue this 195 as relevant to RV flying? Is there any type certificated plane similar to an RV?

IF you can fly a Luscombe well, than you will have no problem with an RV. Compared to my 1950 Piper Pacer, the RV is very docile.

I fly an RV9 out of Reno-Stead and would be happy to give you an introduction to the RV as well. Just pop me a PM or email. There are about a dozen RVs of different flavors at RTS.

Greg

Thanks Greg, PM sent.

I am surprised to here this about the Luscome. I am such a newbie I don't know if this is sarcasm. I hope not because this is the easiest way for me to get tail dragger time.

I would start a thread about RVs for low time pilots, but I don't fit into any category. It was 35 years ago I got a pilot's licence and then never used it. It was expensive and required homework. I flew some 3000 hours in hang gliders, then 1300 in gliders. Then a month ago I got checked out to be able to rent the local 150/150. My biggest problem is how to make the most of dual time. I taught myself to hang glide, needed only 3 hours to get the glider rating, and except for BFR's fly alone. (Best part of a single seat aircraft is the conversation.) I am getting more dual now than at any other time in my life. There is always so much to learn and I wonder what I am missing most of the time. I am told I am good stick, but the scary thing is there are student pilots who know more than I.

In general my concern is that I have too little time for such a hot airplane.

Buying a hanger, then the plane, then learning to fly it seemed backwards at first, but maybe this is how it is done?

This actually makes a lot of sense for an RV. You won't want to park it outside like an old Spam Can (Cessnas & Pipers & other such factory built oldies), so as long as you are certain you want something to park in there, it was good to grab the hangar when the opportunity arose. Now, you won't have to worry about it when you bring your bird home.

As someone mentioned earlier, you can't rent an RV, so to learn to fly it, you will need to own it.

The key will be to find a good CFI who will fly with you in your own airplane. Hopefully this CFI will even know a lot about RVs and can help you pick a good airplane to buy. I'm sure Paul can get you started on the right path. He's a pretty smart feller. :)

The Luscombe comment is true, they are actually fairly difficult to keep straight down the runway.

it was good to grab the hangar when the opportunity arose.

I have had a hanger for my sailplane for years and the one next door came up for sale. Now I find there is too much echo in an empty hanger so I must fill it. :)

I see from your aviatar you may be feminine. I always like to recommend the book: Naomi the Aviatrix. Imagine you are wild and crazy pilot in the '30s and '40's. You die, and your son publishes your diary.

http://www.amazon.com/Naomi-Aviatrix-Nick-Thomas-ebook/dp/B006CFD45A/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

Luscombe

The Luscombe will be a great way to start. Either 8A light sport or 8E that is certified. The "foot" skills you obtain on the rudders will make you all that much better in the RV. I took a Luscombe from Deer Valley, AZ to Nome, Alaska... then turned right and went to Boston. Long time ago.
The RV I bought a couple of years ago was easy... after lots of planes in between. Have a great time... study hard... and remember, the airline guy will probably have "dead" feet. They don't use them much at all. Find a good CFI that is good with lots of types...

If you have not yet found a tail wheel instructor in the area, I recommend Matt Brill out of Stead. I took my tail wheel endorsement with him and now my wife is using him to learn to fly in my Cessna 140. I am based at CXP, Matt will drive down if you twist his arm.
David

remember, the airline guy will probably have "dead" feet.

His feet are about to get a good work out, the Schweizer he bought from me requires you stand on the rudder with all your weight when entering a strong thermal. His 195 was quite a surprise. The torque or p factor during decent was considerable. I used the rudder trim it was so annoying. He just stood on it for a long decent. A 195 is a lot cleaner than they look. You have plan to come down a long ways out.

Thanks everybody for all the comments about the Luscome, I really wondered if it would be a waste of time.

I recommend Matt Brill out of Stead.

thanks, I am making a note. Gabe at MEV worked with me so I could rent from Hutt and it is his Luscome so that will be easy. Something tells me I am a terrible student so I feel sorry for him. If he bounces me I will be looking for others.

RV at CXP

I'll send you a PM. Have a 7A at CXP, completed in August. Several friends with RV's on our field, don't know Gisnar though. Stuck in so cal but will be back as soon as the weather clears. Saturday???

Would love a ride in a glider some time😃

Would love a ride in a glider some time😃

That is fair trade am happy to do. However be careful what you wish for. A smooth ride is just gliding down to a dead stick landing which is boring. Soaring on a strong day means looking for turbulence and turning into it. I tend to make people sick. The people who are paid to give rides have figured out how to please a paying customer, but I haven't.

I have some skill. There are awards like I have a diamond badge. Going cross country is the main thing I do. My old Schweizer (think C-150) and I flew over 40,000 miles which is twice around the world. Going cross country was an obsession I got as a teenager in hang gliders and was called xc nick long before there were interweb names.

Anyways my girlfriend only went once in a sailplane and said: "no more!" Actually there were tears and screaming of 4 letter words. She used have a 182 so I expected better. The RV may be the only way we will get back in the air together.

Nick,

You are definitely not alone. I don't have a hangar yet, but I'm building my RV before getting my PPL. I wondered for a long time if maybe I was doing it backwards, too, since most all RV builders I know are already pilots. But I thought long and hard before taking the plunge. I had good reasons for building first. And I have no regrets. And now as my RV-7A nears completion, I'm really looking forward to getting the instruction I will need and flying my own plane, that I built! I hope with the new Additional Pilot Program, I will even be able to do much of it in my own plane.

Now all I need to do is get that hangar. But I'm not worried.

Sometimes hangars are hard to get. Better to have one in advance than the other way around. You can rent it out in the mean time.

But the best solution is to start building an RV in there. Find someone to take you for a ride in their and you will see. :)

Bevan

Nick
You will do fine. I bought the hanger first. Then an RV12. Then got the best traing from John Palese. Soloed in a month. See yesterday's post under "Reviews" Contact john here: [email protected]
Call me if you lke

Tim

N669SN

Go for it. I did the same thing, the sooner you get started the sooner you will be flying I great little airplane. All the Vans are good airplanes you can't miss. I'm at RTS. We all have free advise, if you can stand it. Vans kits are well supported.

Bruce, God bless you for dreaming!

Desert sky, good to meet you. Did you build yours?

I remember dreaming about building an RV or Vari Eazy as a young man and all the romance has gone. I am thinking about cost of ownership, proper training, resale value, insurance, and all whole lot of boring things that make me even less attractive to the opposite sex. Growing old is mandatory, but you all are a good reminder growing up is optional.

there is only one way, your way. good luck to the transition to the rv world. learn to post pics. we want to see what you have and are flying. :)
IMG_5857.jpg

Last edited:
I see from your aviatar you may be feminine. I always like to recommend the book: Naomi the Aviatrix. Imagine you are wild and crazy pilot in the '30s and '40's. You die, and your son publishes your diary.

http://www.amazon.com/Naomi-Aviatrix-Nick-Thomas-ebook/dp/B006CFD45A/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

I will check it out. Sounds like it could be me in a former life. :D

A Diamond badge? I am impressed! A Glider rating is on my bucket list. I've built and flown RC sailplanes since I was a kid. (A very strange kid. :cool: )

welcome to the family. you will love your rv! soaring with the eagles is the best. ;)
does that flying machine have a name?

P1010026.jpg

does that flying machine have a name?

That is a 1974 Fledge made in Oakland CA. Here is a later one swinging a prop. It was about here I thought about taking a lesson. (I am bringing this back to the topic of this thread of where to get lessons in an RV, sorta of) I flew for about 5 years before taking any lessons. At least sex was safe in those days.

1982-Foxbat.jpg

I can't believe I got away with promoting my book. Here is what my mother flew. Needless to say I fly in her shadow and will never live up to this:

Very impressive. Hats off to your mom. I ordered a copy. Thanks for the link.

Back