What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

prop question

rwarre

Well Known Member
Have an o320 on my 7a with a sensenich metal prop. I enjoy the economy of the engine but since I live in Colorado performance suffers a little in climb. I am considering a Whirlwind or similar composite prop. How would the prop change affect the aircraft performance? Would I be able better my climb?

I have the Sensenich ground adjustable composite prop on an O-320 in my RV6 and while climb and top speed are better than my old Aymar Demuth wood prop, neither gives the takeoff and climb performance I desire when in the mountains. Only a constant speed prop would let the engine turn the full 2700 rpm for takeoff. The ground adjustable prop *could* be set to a finer pitch for higher static RPMs and more takeoff power but then would too easily over-rev once you level off and your cruise speed would suffer.

Prop issue

Keep in mind that the ground adjustable props help you reach a level,of compromise without the added weight of a constant speed prop. My 6a has a Hartzell constant speed and works well....but weighs quite a bit with the governor and associated components. With a 200 hp the weight isn't an issue...but if I had a smaller engine I'd consider the ground adjustable route. I own a Carbon Cub with the Titan 340 Stroker and run the Whirlwind ground adjustable prop and love it! I just wish they'd come out with a three blade version!

Back