Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2017, 06:49 AM

I just wander if 80% of builders do? You said disregard the original post.
AirCam flying
Old 10-29-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreamer View Post
I just want to clarify few things for those who are intimidated by the title of this thread " How to..." . You Show up with your parts at the border, declare (tell the officer) the value and purpose of the goods that are with you. Show your invoice , pay HST and drive home. This will only work if you tell the officer that you purchased the parts for personal use (non commercial use). Commercial import follows different routine .
So stop stressing, and do it yourself if you have time and don't want to pay few extra hundreds for brokerage and extra freight. I also suspect the less your cargo handled the better.
I forgot to add that you can disregard pretty much everything in the original top post. None of that is applicable for non commercial importation of kit plane parts.
Well as the OP, guess I should provide some input.

Certainly hope nobody is "intimidated by the title of this thread", nor by what I have taken the time to post here.

"You show up with your parts at the boarder" tells me you are in the States to pick up your parts, either already there or crossed over to get your parts, then cross back into Canada with them. If this is the case, then what you are suggesting here is the same as what anyone would do crossing the boarder with purchased goods? What I mention above took me 12 minutes with the customs folks (no where near the boarder) and did not require two trips to cross the boarder. BTW, I have done this numerous times and never with commercial goods. Each time fast, low stress, pleasant customs folks.

You told folks to "disregard pretty much everything" that I posted here. How about this instead? I plan to pick up some wings in the next month or so using the same self brokering process detailed above. If it still works, I'll indicate that here, if not I will request that a moderator takes the post down as being no longer relevant.

Al

Last edited by AlinNS : 10-29-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:32 PM

Please read the post immediately previous to this one (29 Oct).

I have continued to self clear noncommercial shipments through customs without incurring brokerage fees. Easy.

Still works the same since I took the time to share with others a way to self clear at the beginning of this thread. Done it a number of times.

Just last week picked up a wing kit. Took less than 10 minutes with the friendly customs folks. Like usual, most of the time was spent talking about building an airplane.

Al
Old 02-02-2018, 03:42 PM

Hi Al
I was just at customs the other day checking on procedures for another kit. This time I'm planning on picking up the kit and crossing the border myself. (not Van's this one). Other than payment methods, what they will accept and what they will not , the rest should be a breeze as you said. They said they would accept up to $2500 personal check and need a certified check for more than that. They will accept debit/VISA for any amount. VISA it will be, airmiles here we come.
AirCam flying
Old 02-02-2018, 04:11 PM

Here in the Okanagan, we slip across the border to Oroville, WA, pick up our shipment, and clear customs at Osoyoos.

For us Olde Phartes with time on our hands, the procedure has worked well and is worth the time and fuel...
Old 02-02-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
Hi Al
I was just at customs the other day checking on procedures for another kit. This time I'm planning on picking up the kit and crossing the border myself. (not Van's this one). Other than payment methods, what they will accept and what they will not , the rest should be a breeze as you said. They said they would accept up to $2500 personal check and need a certified check for more than that. They will accept debit/VISA for any amount. VISA it will be, airmiles here we come.
Howdy Ron,

Not a Van's kit?...hmm neither is the one I've got on the go. Sounds like we need to have another chat and compare projects.

When you cross the border, or self clear a shipment through a sufferance warehouse, you can save time if you look up the code for what you are importing before hand. Sometimes they have difficulty finding the code for "aircraft parts".

Al
Old 02-02-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner69 View Post
Here in the Okanagan, we slip across the border to Oroville, WA, pick up our shipment, and clear customs at Osoyoos.

For us Olde Phartes with time on our hands, the procedure has worked well and is worth the time and fuel...
Okanagan! With a callsign like Schooner you should be in NS��

Family and I were as far South as Creston last Spring. Beautiful province you got there.

Yep, that close to the border is convenient.

Al

Last edited by AlinNS : 07-03-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:37 AM

Default Just the facts ma'am, just the facts

Hi

I came a across this thread and thought I would add a couple of comments.

First, you can self clear at any port of entry not just the border. For example, when I purchase major kit components I have Vans ship the items IN BOND to the nearest port of entry to the destination. In my case this is Calgary. Once notified by the freight company that it is received, I get the freight company to email me the commercial documents. These I take to the Canada Customs (CBSA) office. They assess the GST and clear the shipment.

The shipper is notified - I usually take a pix of the clearance doc and email it. The freight is delivered. CBSA will also notify them but I like to expidite the process.

Self clearing is easy as long as you do the above.

A couple of notes to the above.

1. It is extremely important that the shipment go IN BOND to the destination PORT OF ENTRY. Unless otherwise requested, the freight company will expect the shipment to be cleared at the border and not at the destination PORT OF ENTRY.

2. You will have to go the the CBSA office in person with the shipping documents.

I have done this many times over the past few years and have never had a problem. I quick trip to CBSA and a couple of phone calls / emails can save you many hundreds of dollars.

Cheers

Les
Old 03-25-2019, 08:30 AM

Good info Les.

Also worth mentioning - if the destination is also a port of entry but it stops before. e.g. shipped from Oregon, gets into Canada near Toronto but package is to be shipped to Montreal (which also have an in bond area), you can have it moved, in bond, from Toronto to Montreal.

I just did that with Old Dominion with my emp + tailcone kit.
Construction Web Cam