What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Increased “friction” in pitch servo

plehrke

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a TruTrak Gemini AP for about 4 years. I have not really used it much in the last year. The last few times flying, with AP off, it has felt like I have been out of pitch trim as the load on the stick seemed higher than previous. On the ground I notice that there is more resistance pulling and pushing on the stick. Today I decided to take out the pitch servo and just rotating the servo arm and it feels like it has a lot more drag than I remember it to have.
Anybody else experience this? Any thoughts on what could have caused the servo to “tighten up”?

I have a TruTrak Gemini AP for about 4 years. I have not really used it much in the last year. The last few times flying, with AP off, it has felt like I have been out of pitch trim as the load on the stick seemed higher than previous. On the ground I notice that there is more resistance pulling and pushing on the stick. Today I decided to take out the pitch servo and just rotating the servo arm and it feels like it has a lot more drag than I remember it to have.
Anybody else experience this? Any thoughts on what could have caused the servo to “tighten up”?

I had the roll servo lock up. The root cause was corrosion on the OD of the rotor closing the air gap and locking inside the stator.

The early TT servos were like this and later had corrosion protective coatings.

This may be something to check for your component. Just take it fully apart.

Back