What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkySports fuel quantity problem RV-6.

DSenn

I'm New Here
I am helping a friend troubleshoot a fuel indication problem. I am not well versed in how this system works and we can't reach the manufacturer.

The system is installed in an RV-6, one probe per tank. The plane was certified in 2005 with the system purchased sometime around 2000. We have read that SkySports changed their system from 24-33 ohms to 0-5v. Not sure which we have. He has a tank selector switch and a single gauge. The left system works fine. When we switch to the right system, the gauge pegs below empty. We checked for power and ground at the switch, and ran a new ground wire from the sender with no success.

Does anyone know what to test for at the sensor? The tank is about half full and we get ~5 volts at the S lead to ground. From the documentation we have, it looks like a short from the outside of the sensor to ground or water in the tank (internal short) will send the gauge to Full.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot our problem? I am thinking there is a problem with the probe and it is sending a bad signal to the gauge. Should we be looking at volts or ohms at the S lead?

Thanks for any input.

Back