What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Notification 15-10-01 - Flap Handle Spring

MartySantic

Well Known Member
Has anyone cut 1/2" off the flap handle spring to lower the required thumb pressure? Did it help or should I look for another spring?

I did shorten the spring according to the notice during the build. So I cannot compare the thumb force to the original KAI. But operational wise the thumb force seems to be quite ok. The handle can be released with ease but still requires some gentle force. To me it‘s perfect like that.

Flap spring and knob

Has anyone cut 1/2" off the flap handle spring to lower the required thumb pressure? Did it help or should I look for another spring?

I also wound enough thick tape (rescue tape) into the gap just below the top of the flap “push button” to mostly fill the gap. Did this after “biting” my hand (web of skin between index finger and thumb) between the flap button and flap bar. You’ll only make that mistake once 😫

I also wound enough thick tape (rescue tape) into the gap just below the top of the flap “push button” to mostly fill the gap. Did this after “biting” my hand (web of skin between index finger and thumb) between the flap button and flap bar. You’ll only make that mistake once 😫

In case anyone else ever wants to alleviate the possibility of getting pinched, the button part was redesigned many years ago to do away with the gap that causes the pinch point and it it very inexpensive to buy.

I did cut off 1/2" of the spring and it really helped. And, I installed the new button Scott referred too - pinch be gone! Both changes highly recommended and relatively easy to do.

In case anyone else ever wants to alleviate the possibility of getting pinched, the button part was redesigned many years ago to do away with the gap that causes the pinch point and it it very inexpensive to buy.

I just filled in the area with https://rectorseal.com/epoxy-putty-group/ and belt sanded it down to match the smaller diameter 18 years ago.... only pinched me once!!.... RV6A manual flaps.

Last edited:
I drilled out the end of a rubber bicycle grip and slipped it on the flap handle. I’ve never been pinched by the button.

Found a nice motorcycle hand grip on Amazon. Same diameter and has anchor pins in the rite place. Just drilled the cap to fit. EZY pzy. Bonus looks great and no pinching.

PD

Good solution!

I shortened the spring 1/2" in accordance with the Notification. Makes a world of difference. I had to remove the 4 screws holding the flap detent bracket down (Thank you, Scott McD) to get enough clearance the remove the button/rod and spring. Cut the spring with the Dremel and small cutoff wheel.

Scott, do you have a part number on hand?

Thanks,
-dbh

Back