What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Solo Spins in my RV6a

whitek2h

Here is a video of my first-time solo spinning my RV6A. I’ve been putting it off since becoming endorsed one year ago. Don’t know why I was so apprehensive. Next time I’ll do some right-hand spins and achieve 2 full rotations. The 6 does seem to wind up fast. Never in my 40 years of flying did I think I’d be spinning a plane on purpose. Hope you enjoy my nervousness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKL0f52140g

Cheers
Kevin

Nice video, Kevin. Nice to see you get more comfortable with spins as the video went on.

Spins

Kevin,
I love it! Properly trained…facing your fears… gett’n her done!
Great job!
PS - You we’re giddy as a school boy!! Too fun!

Last edited:
What I want to know, is how do you get out of an inverted flat spin, if you botch up an Immelmann??

What I want to know, is how do you get out of an inverted flat spin, if you botch up an Immelmann??

Not an expert but having done exactly that in a Great Lakes first thing we did was reduce power which seemed to help unwind the rotation a bit, then stop the rotation (which took a while for the nose to drop and get some forward airflow over the rudder), and then we split S out of the bottom (another mistake as we should have rolled upright first and then pulled to recover). The exercise took a while and we lost a LOT of altitude:eek:
Very humbling experience and I am sure the aerobatic experts on here will define the correct approach, probably a different technique in an old biplane versus a slick RV.
Figs

Kevin,
Just curious, do you have the stock RV6A rudder? I’m building an RV6 with the stock rudder - just like my first RV6. I remember that first airplane wrapping up pretty tight after about two turns, in fact I think Van recommended not more than 3 turns in the -6. I think it had to do with the smaller rudder. A three turn spin required at least a turn and a half to exit the spin. That was the first airplane that I intentionally spun (other than old school CFI training), and spins still spook me a little.

First, this isn't the purpose of the internet. There are good acro/spin instructors out there. 2nd, an inverted flat spin is not the upset mode normally seen from a botched Immelman. The typical LOC scenario for the Immelman is attempting the half roll with too little airspeed and stall/snapping the airplane about 45 degrees before the half roll to upright is complete by using too much rudder and aft elevator in an attempt to keep the nose up. This results in snapping out of the maneuver, which if you sat there like a log with the controls severely deflected, COULD develop into a spin, but it would be an upright spin, not an inverted spin. Mostly people just snap out of the half roll and recover and never get into developed spin territory. Some intro acro/spin training does wonders for the confidence and understanding of all these issues.

Last edited:

I don't know but I heard this funny quote attributed to the late great aerobatic pilot Bob Herendeen... "There are three things you need to know about getting out of an inverted flat spin; power off, power off, power off.:D

I don't know but I heard this funny quote attributed to the late great aerobatic pilot Bob Herendeen... "There are three things you need to know about getting out of an inverted flat spin; power off, power off, power off.:D

Absolutely, unless you're doing them intentionally.

As it worked for me I am interested in the rationale of why, I assumed it reduced the torque factor on the spin but trades off airflow over the rudder (which is small on the Great Lakes). What is the official reason?

Spins

Power is the main ingredient of a flat spin. Power to idle and most aircraft will revert to a normal spin, although the rate of rotation may be a bit higher. Opposite rudder to the stop, neutral aileron and aft stick.
The most common spin in basic aerobatics in the Pitts S2B is inverted flat. Second is botched hammerhead.
GET SOME INSTRUCTION!!!

As it worked for me I am interested in the rationale of why, I assumed it reduced the torque factor on the spin but trades off airflow over the rudder (which is small on the Great Lakes). What is the official reason?

Power raises the nose to a flattish attitude via propwash and gyroscopics. The flatter the attitude, the less relative wind flows over the tail, although propwash flows strongly. Most dedicated aerobatic airplanes will recover a flat spin more quickly by leaving full power on (propwash rudder and elevator authority) than by pulling power off, but there are two very different spin recovery concepts - emergency recovery and active recovery. Emergency recovery means you lost control of the airplane by accident and need to employ the most effective recovery method for this situation. In this case, it is best practice to pull power, since power will prevent or delay recovery if your inputs are not perfect. However, if you are flying deliberate flat spins under full and practiced control of the airplane, it's generally more efficient to leave full power in for recovery, as all airshow pilots do anytime you see a flat spin. Emergency recovery techniques should not be confused with active recovery techniques, even if there is some similarity in technique. If this seems like a cryptic explanation, just visit a good aerobatic instructor.

Spins

The Sukhoi SU26 and SU29 will recover from an upright flat spin in 1/8 of a turn with full power. Nose is down about 20 degrees, count 1001,1002 1003 and pull to vertical, full vertical roll and hammerhead.
The Pitts S2B will recover from upright flat about the same but not enough energy to do much without diving.
The problem with the power on recovery is that the majority of pilots are not willing or able to devote the practice to be consistent. My belief is that is not appropriate for RV's to be doing flat spins. VERY significant gyroscopic loads, if you have a metal prop you are risking crankshaft failure. Lycoming has never solved the crankshaft issue with metal props.

Spins

One more point: right rudder upright spin, stick to the left flattens the spin somewhat, stick to the right enhances the recovery. Inverted the aileron response is reversed, not because the controls are reversed but because the LIFT VECTOR IS REVERSED.
In the case of the example left stick is referred to as outspin aileron, right stick as inspin aileron.
I think it is the Neal Williams book that shows pilot sitting on the belly of the airplane with the control stick protruding thru the belly. By far the easiest way to understand the inverted spin.

Back