What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend (7/3 - 7/5'ish)

SPX

Well Known Member
Sponsor
We missed it last weekend (I did nothing with my RV last weekend), but we aren't going to miss it again this weekend.. let's hear what you did with your RV this weekend (those flying, and those being built)

My wife and I decided to go to Big Bear, CA (L35) for lunch.

Flying today worked out well because, with the fantastic assistance of VAF'er bruceh, my left side fuel tank sender unit was resealed this week. The tank was drained for this to be done, so I had to fill it up before flying very far. My wife was in Oceanside (KOKB) for a prior commitment, so I flew over there to pick her up and fuel up with some cheaper fuel than my home base.

Here's my RV in Oceanside, ready to be fueled up.

IMG-6464-2.jpg

I landed with an empty left tank, and with an indicated 7.7 gallons in the right tank (we sealed up the fuel sender unit on the right side a few weeks back). First I put a pump indicated 18.1 gallons in my left tank, while stopping every two gallons to capture a calibration point. Next, I filled up the right tank by adding another 9.7 gallons to it. So, 9.7 + 7.7 = 17.4, so looks like at that quantity, my right gauge is off by about 0.6 gallons, and it's pessimistic, not optimistic, so I'll take that.

Finished up fueling in Oceanside, where they have a fuel pump that on the outside looks like it has seen better days (but I've always received clean fuel there), and loaded up Jeana, and headed to Big Bear.

IMG-8443-2.jpg

31 minute flight to Big Bear, where it was 15? cooler than home, and 7000' higher.

Nice, scenic flight over there as usual.
IMG-8444-2.jpg

IMG-8445-2.jpg

After having a pretty good meal, we loaded back in the RV, and headed back to Oceanside to bring Jeana back, and then I took the airplane back to Fallbrook to put the airplane in the hangar, and then drove home.

In 2.5 hours we flew to Big Bear, had lunch, and flew back. Had we been driving, it would have been 2.5 hours just to drive to Big Bear. RV, 10 gallons of fuel. My car .. about 9 gallons. It doesn't make sense not to take the RV!

Beach flight

Saturday the 4th of July and it is actually clear in the morning along the coast. I guess June gloom is so last month. In the never ending saga of having the wrong half of my tools in the hangar instead of my garage, I had to get out to the hangar for some tools required for fixing the daughter's car. I decided to go buzz the beaches from Encinitas down to La Jolla to see how well we are socially distancing here in San Diego.

Swami's Beach in Encinitas.
IMG_8622_heic-M.jpg

People camping up on the bluff at San Elijo State Beach.
IMG_8623_heic-M.jpg

Where the turf meets the surf in Del Mar at the Racetrack.
IMG_8624_heic-M.jpg

Pacific Coast Highway in Del Mar.
IMG_8625_heic-M.jpg

My ADS-B showed "ADS6", and it was this banner towing airplane cruising along at 500'. The Torrey Pines State Beach parking lots were closed and this beach was pretty empty.
IMG_8626_heic-M.jpg

Torrey Pines golf courses, and the old glider strip on the bluff. The beach below is Black's Beach which has somewhat of a reputation for nudity.
IMG_8627_heic-M.jpg

Scripps Pier.
IMG_8628_heic-M.jpg

La Jolla Shores was packed.
IMG_8629_heic-M.jpg

Marine Street Beach and Windansea Beach in La Jolla.
IMG_8630_heic-M.jpg

The Children's Pool Beach where lots of seals hang out.
IMG_8631_heic-M.jpg

Flew 0.6 and back home in time for some family time the rest of the day.

God & Country

Early 4th of July morning dawn patrol with Grandson ride along before our nearest star started heating up Tejas to oven levels.
Awesome!
Bottom line, I'm thankful for the freedoms we enjoy courtesy of brave men I've served alongside...:)
V/R
Smokey

Great trip to Big Sandy Kentucky. We had a great meal at the Cloud 9 Caf? and got to witness 3 Black Hawk?s come in for fuel.

ACtC-3f89bMufO4yzADwc-dEvwj93SMvdgCnvVXz6lnWlLH_xAZ-sJGkHgrBpnxqaXdAlop8EYI6q4P0qPOISCXiLb8BWA4zUnOF4JmfuHeni8o-bXuv0PywFTSzhLkMRvCR5nHVBZZKf9llZdMtbMUTAda-=w800

ACtC-3exJtk4_T7B79PL-AxNTSWkPHwmJNisK1xBMtkt_GKXD016FVgSiZ9x12By-Uk1WmGnlULp1rwzSfj7281lLdfIKMjGCn6NOJjIkMnbdBgCuxySGtxcxvxOdVH53Ck--dZl3VmKlhMKyu3B5HdEKYWu=w800

ACtC-3evKACzyQwSQIeG_t7v4qKIwadmhwVKRkexvUeTEp8xAs2LPhdeh5TJhg74ovyAjirQG-rean5nw-rTid5hhsJRwKaPqcraM0das_FPhhhLKw3l211eu2VZb9S49Ru9QhB50RM1oEG3DSTNtOHH56hU=w800

ACtC-3elKHMiqASqFzYPJ1RD9aXM2NQFJ90fZMcdp2UEMx-FUx79KLRQunxrtdY9IamDc7GTPcVf9_kJaFyPXaqD5RGMCt8Z4gjWgmKkOiJWBfACrdSPVqanatllQxke_mqszOMNjIpdu_tqDjIGuXh0AHjw=w515

Flew "around the block" on July 4th from Redondo Beach to Huntington Beach and once again all the beaches completely empty. What a strange sight.

On 7/3 I took on the task of replacing my old sagging engine isolators with new Lord mounts. Scored a new set on the auction site for 300 bucks! I would rather have a root canal than to do this again! My bolts are the old style that use castle nuts and cotter pins. If I was to do it again I would definitely get the new bolts with the steel locking nuts. Went for a flight afterwards and it was smoooth!!

Old saggy cracking mounts
ACtC-3ftpsoOx15Mx915If6F2cURYfQqCGA_dG-ekcxtFmutUQ0OA6HpcXLyav8o7WkjkFEj1-rtxRTft4AZPnOjF9GLpHriUBGxZ9QJweGeAIO8GS5oKcB1gBAdUsZm7yi1otC5Fw7FN0Rcuy_yDKDl6kHLaw=w770-h719

3/8" of sag
ACtC-3fS70VeOAW27HTAb2QKerz95Dv1xa6rp5YGot-78hHr1ysEADP4Ci1r3XZOS5tCdXeJbg9TGsl7iiIlagrsejYvF_d3lTSq5r6U6Fp0yuwhw7XNf7JXUfxCl3EYbbn1nlFUFxiJlfz3cRVjF_o_UpH8OA=w770-h719

Nice and level now
ACtC-3ch_SyU0BNZRSzkuvy22RRC_hUc5nhd_WqzKkxdfqXHoMfWlgssJi_BTrLerGBgb1LoKzec180abAUaVshJbw9rvniZyI7427ugXuOczN5MhIWrlmyywUeAW3e_2J-QomWmOWqrDBofEg532KgboGGF7Q=w727-h969

Tool explosion
ACtC-3ct7tDQVpjDWDErVgDZ53r38Kltab0SIdCpLkyIZIAEYo9ext9wmKaFYvaM53hfjJPcxurXP4lT3ItG_e4TcP_nhLW7CEOpuKjreI8ZFLm1zxH3YmwvEiuZ2W7sE1xTxpqD1jwJZ1YaB8IvlPzvjulrig=w1024-h619

Social Distancing Airshow

The airshow season has been pretty quiet this year. Falcon Flight performed in Laredo in February before the madness started, but the rest of the spring shows were canceled.

Normally each year around July 4th, we are part of an airshow over the Cedar Creek Reservoir located southeast of Dallas. Until just a few weeks ago the show's status was in question, but the organizers decided to move forward. The vast majority of spectators are in boats - so socially distancing among groups was possible. They normally have a large crowd on the shoreline by the club house, but that was scaled way back this year. it was a hazy afternoon with the Saharan dust, but the afternoon show went well.

My first ever 'social distancing airshow'.

TOCC-2.jpg

TOCC3-2.png

Landed on a road by a private marina (traffic management was arranged by the owner). Had a breakfast and left to catch on my visiting Arizona buddy. Pictures are are at the bottom of this page. P-bucket locked me out sorry :D

Always Fun

Landed on a road by a private marina (traffic management was arranged by the owner). Had a breakfast and left to catch on my visiting Arizona buddy. Pictures are are at the bottom of this page. P-bucket locked me out sorry :D

Always fun to read your adventures. Landing on a road in the middle of nowhere. Where have I read that before???

Back