What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to Cut or Grind Down Rivet Length

RV701775

I just purchased a rivet cutter but it only works with very long rivets. Is there a way to trim a rivet down without specialized tools to get it to an acceptable length for riveting? (e.g. -4 to -3.5) I read somewhere that grinding a rivet down may heat the rivet and affect strength.

Thanks?

I use a regular rivet cutter and I keep a supply of comically long rivets around, which have no use on their own but are easy to cut down to most any required length when the need for an odd-sized rivet arises.

The difference between a 4 and a 3.5 probably isn't the kind of thing to worry about. Just pick the best fit and move on.

That said, you can use a pair of dykes to trim rivets if you need.

Rivet cutter

I just purchased a rivet cutter but it only works with very long rivets. Is there a way to trim a rivet down without specialized tools to get it to an acceptable length for riveting? (e.g. -4 to -3.5) I read somewhere that grinding a rivet down may heat the rivet and affect strength.

Thanks?

Not all rivet cutters are equal. Mine has a 1/2 thickness leaf. It will cut 1/2 increments, but I've only needed it for really long 470 rivets like 8 or longer. Anything shorter, I usually can set.
You could use a file instead of grinding or just dip it in water often so it can't get too hot.

Thanks?

My USATCO 4-17 will cut down to -3 with 1/16" steps.... https://www.usatco.com/item/HEAVY+DUTY+RIVET+CUT/Rivet-Cutters/

You can also drill a hole in a scrap the thickness that you want and stick a rivet in it and head to your belt sander.

Last edited:
After you've cut it down, take a good look at it and deburr any flashing and use a fine file to flatten the end.

Dykes give a particularly wedge-shaped end and the end will definitely will need to be made true. You're far better off with a rivet cutter.

Some rivet cutters cut in 1/16" increments. I have one that cuts in finer increments, and that make considerable difference sometimes.

Dave

Rivet cutter

One thing to check on the rivet cutter so as to help it cut properly is to tighten the bolt in the middle of the cutting discs.

After you've cut it down, take a good look at it and deburr any flashing and use a fine file to flatten the end.

Dykes give a particularly wedge-shaped end and the end will definitely will need to be made true. You're far better off with a rivet cutter.

Try some with a less than true end and see how they work. I don't think you'll have a problem.

Cutting Rivets

I cut rivets often. My tool doesn?t have any ID or model number that I can find to share. Has the red rubber covered handles and I think it came from Cleveland Tool years ago. Occasionally a cut rivet has a small burr. If it?s enough to prevent easy insertion a touch of a file or belt sander does the trick.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

It is not a good practice to grind aluminum, because it will load up the grind stone.

Instead, use a disc sander or belt sander. Do a little at a time to be sure it doesn't get too hot. If it is too hot to touch, it might be too hot.

I countersunk the face of my rivet cutter so it will cut shorter rivets. If I want them longer I just use a leaf.

Insert from leaf side

Insert rivet from the leaf side of the tool, can cut all the way down to the head that way.

+1

You can also drill a hole in a scrap the thickness that you want and stick a rivet in it and head to your belt sander.

I do this. Hold the rivet with my thumb, it never got warm. Even on the medium scotchbrite wheel. It makes a more square end than a cutter too.

Back