What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LA SFRA

M5fly

Well Known Member
We're heading down to Catalina tomorrow with a fuel stop in Bakersfield. Looking at the LA SFRA it looks like the Coastal VFR Route is most in line with where we want to go. Any tips/pointers for transitioning through there?

Just Me

I think the best and easiest way is through the VFR corridor. Southbound it is 3500 feet on SMO 132 radial. See LA TCA. (Northbound is 4500)

The coastal route, mini route, Hollywood Park route are hit and miss; the VFR corridor is always available. ( I was denied the mini route last Sunday)

Once thru the LAX corridor, climb to your crossing altitude, but watch the Class Bravo altitude restrictions; some places the floor is 5000 feet.

It is not difficult, just need to get familiar with the lay of the land.

I think the best and easiest way is through the VFR corridor. Southbound it is 3500 feet on SMO 132 radial. See LA TCA. (Northbound is 4500)

The coastal route, mini route, Hollywood Park route are hit and miss; the VFR corridor is always available. ( I was denied the mini route last Sunday)

Once thru the LAX corridor, climb to your crossing altitude, but watch the Class Bravo altitude restrictions; some places the floor is 5000 feet.

It is not difficult, just need to get familiar with the lay of the land.

That sounds pretty simple, probably just need to keep an eye out for overtaking slower spam cans. I've flown in the SFO and KC Class B before but not LA, should be a cool experience.

Speed Limit

That sounds pretty simple, probably just need to keep an eye out for overtaking slower spam cans. I've flown in the SFO and KC Class B before but not LA, should be a cool experience.

I’m probably too late with this but please be aware that the LAX special flight rules corridor has a 140 kias speed limit.

Skylor

I’ve never had any issues getting flight following and crossing the LAX Bravo with the various routes listed on the TAC.

We were able to do the Coastal Route southbound and the SFRA northbound. It was a non-event but I was amazed at the amount of GA traffic to watch out for near Long Beach and Torrance. It was wild to having to slow down enough to keep from running over a Seminole landing in front of me at Long Beach. Thank for the tips, it was fun!

Back