What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is anyone flying with the Flightview EFIS (IPads)?

edclee

Well Known Member
Patron
I am curious as to the experiences with this system, which, on it's face, seems like a great VFR panel solution. One issue I see with it is that at present, there is no magnetic heading information available, therefore no winds aloft info.
Ed

Found out that now there is built in magnetometer so yes, there is heading information
Ed

Last edited:
No One?

Never got any responses...is no one using the Flightview, Falken Avionics EFIS?

Flightview

Never got any responses...is no one using the Flightview, Falken Avionics EFIS?

Falken Avionics (Flightview, Open Flight Solutions) was at OSH again and even got interviewed by Marc Cook from Kitplanes. I have decided to install this system on my 9A.
Ed

Last edited:
My iPad washes out in bright sunlight. Don’t think I’d want that to happen to my Primary Flight Display in flight. Steve’s done a lot of good work to create this product but I believe iPad limitations will prevent many people from seriously considering this option. My two cents.

My iPad got hot in direct sunlight and shut itself down. I won't use it for my primary instrument.

Budget

I would not use the Ipad for primary because as mentioned, bad in sunlight. If you want budget, go with a Garmin G5 and 760.

Ipad

I have been running an Ipad Air 2 for more than a year now running Ifly GPS. The standard Ipad just wont work. The reflection from the screen is a problem. The Ipad Air and the Ipad Pro have laminated screens that eliminate the air space between the screen and the glass front. As for cooling, I installed a small 12v computer fan behind the panel that blows air directly on the aluminum back through a large hole covered by the Ipad. I have never had it shut down due to overheating in flight, but one time I did not bother to put the sunscreen on the dash to keep the direct sun off the panel. It took a few minutes on the ground to cool down with the fan, which is powered directly from the master bus. I fly nearly every day and here is SC it is HOT.

It was my positive experience for the last year with the Ipad that led me to the choice. Additionally, I have a backup AvMap mini-efis giving me airspeed, altitude, VSI, Attitude, and heading, as well as GPS. It will not drive an autopilot however. The user interface with the Flightview infinitely better that anything else.
Ed

Don't think the iPad is the only thing that stops working in heat. I used to fly a $6 million helicopter and when we stopped at San Antonio for fuel during the summer days when we were ready to depart we had to wait a few minutes after starting the engines so the instruments would come on without a heat fault.

I've flown many times in RVs and other airplanes with Dynon and Garmin glass panels that were hard to read in bright sunlight. Certainly not something unique to iPads.

Back