What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When Do I Need My Panel

RayJr

I'm just getting started in on my RV-14 Tail Kit.

I'm trying to plan ahead ordering my parts ahead of time so I don't need to spend too much time waiting for deliveries and also don't want to order early to both spread out the cost as well as reduce storage.

My question is when should I have my panel components on hand? Do I need those for the start of the Fuselage build, or the end? Can I continue on to the finish kit before I get the panel?

Or does it even matter and the panel can go in after the whole kit is nearly done?

Thanks!!

Vans gave me an estimated ship date for my fuselage of this month. I'm probably in the minority but I want to do my panel when I get the fuselage completed with the goal of giving my kids time to sit in the fuselage and play with all the switches and controls and make airplane noises.

The avionics are the most interesting part of the airplane to me and I'm still trying to decide if I do SB or QB wings.

The common belief is that you push the panel as late as possible in the schedule because panel technology is the fastest advancing segment of the build and you want to have the latest, greatest when the airplane is done.

And yes, you can have everything else complete, then build and install your panel.

So there is little or no need to chase this until later in the process.

The common belief is that you push the panel as late as possible in the schedule because panel technology is the fastest advancing segment of the build and you want to have the latest, greatest when the airplane is done.

And yes, you can have everything else complete, then build and install your panel.

So there is little or no need to chase this until later in the process.

Dynamite, Thanks for answering it :)
I'm quite content to pay that bill further down the road

It is worth figuring out what components you'll be mounting remotely and how you'll wire them. For example, will you need more holes through the center section or wing ribs? I started planning wire runs part way through my wing kit, and then timed the panel to arrive when the airframe was completed.

It's a lot easier to drill before you close things up.

Back