What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Taildragger Oil Drain Location

Jetmart

Well Known Member
What is the latest consensus the best location on the sump for the oil quick drain on the Lycoming 390 taildraggers?

I put my quick drain (Fumoto T202-N) on the rear of the sump, I believe on the right side. I just chose the side which would give easiest access to attach a drain hose to the fitting without burning my hands. Sorry I do not have a picture.

Last edited:
Left front

I put my SafeAir quick drain at the left front location (see #6 in attached).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 8.31.08 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 8.31.08 AM.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 250
Thanks, I have been following that thread. Just wondering if there was a way to avoid lifting the tail for a simple oil change. Less movement means left chance of hangar rash.

Drain

No you do not need to lift the tail. My -14 drain is in the same location as the Vans demonstrator. Rear of the engine. Somewhere here on VAF you can find a picture I posted.

No you do not need to lift the tail. My -14 drain is in the same location as the Vans demonstrator. Rear of the engine. Somewhere here on VAF you can find a picture I posted.

Thanks, I did search for all threads before posting the question. Unfortunately your photo is no longer available. Is yours in the port where there is a standard pipe plug next to the strainer screen?

Here’s a photo of my Fumoto quick drain

This was taken looking up through the lower cowl exit. The quick drain is on the left side, under the fuel pump. The suction screen is on the right.

Attachments

• 9476C8F2-6B75-42A5-97AF-3533C668F034.jpeg
    9476C8F2-6B75-42A5-97AF-3533C668F034.jpeg
    904.7 KB · Views: 267
Back