What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many of you flew your maiden flight?

Did you fly the maiden flight of your build?

• Total voters

salty

Well Known Member
Curious how many of you farm it out vs flying it yourself.

I'm very interested in doing it myself. But it's a pride thing, I'm not sure I can be objective about my capabilities.

I'm a good pilot, have instrument and glider ratings, about 700 hours total time, most of that in complex aircraft. But I just started flying 5 or 6 years ago. Flew 200+ hours last year. Flight time has dropped significantly since we started building, I already see that I'm going to have to take steps to make sure I fly enough to stay proficient.

I'm a good troubleshooter. I did a field overhaul of the O-360 in my Mooney 3 years ago, and did first flights after that, but that's not the same magnitude of risk. I'm pretty cool under pressure.

I will definitely be flying most of phase 1 myself, even if I don't do the maiden flight.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

I used the Additional Pilot provisions of the FAA rules to have a very well qualified (former test pilot, CFII, with >500 hrs in the RV-10 he owns) second pilot along on my first couple of flights. My reasoning was that he would not only focus on the engine instrumentation while I concentrated on flying the plane, but that as a disinterested party if something went wrong he would keep me from doing something stupid (such as trying to save the plane instead of saving myself). Fortunately, the first flights were uneventful, but it was still helpful to have him along.

I would recommend this option should you decide to do the first flight yourself.

After spending all that time building, of course I flew it for the first flight.

Hiring it out would be like getting someone else to take your bride on the honeymoon... :D

Yes

I did the EAA program where you sit down with an experienced test pilot and go through multiple scenarios and the various actions/alternatives. We built test cards for the various failure scenarios and planned the activities for the first flight.

Two of the failure scenarios occurred on the first flight and I followed the test cards and returned to the airport. Some pucker factor obviously but the cards and the prior review of procedures made it manageable.

I would recommend this approach if you plan to do your own first flight.
Figs

Come on guys, there is no shame in asking a more experienced pilot take up your aircraft for the first flights. To me someone asking the question should seek help , they are to be commended for doing so.

My thoughts..

I flew my first flight (RV-4), and never gave any other option a thought. What I have seen through years of reading posts and witnessing first flights, is that no two people have the same feeling about it, nor can prepare for everything possible with 100% confidence. In the world of RV's we enjoy much more confidence then brand X,Y,Z experimental with small numbers and greatly variable build scenarios. All series RV's built "per plans" with normal recommended baseline systems will likely have no surprises for the first flight. RV's are honest airplanes with few if any bad characteristics. A few hours of dual transition with a reputable instructor should provide the skill set needed to fly it. I also advise focus on the most basic flight profile you can settle on for flight number one. If your going to have to do an engine break in as I did (fresh build), plan on an hour plus, and there is a lot more that needs to be planned for. I also advise a camera that can capture the instrument panel, and analyze the film after the flight for details of speeds ect. When that day comes, and your sitting on the numbers ready to go, if the gut feel isn't right, go back to the hangar and change the plan.

I was left seat for my first flight, but my engine builder was right seat and PIC. I had the required hours, but not much more than that. Was quickly glad to not be PIC as we had a loss of power and temps on #1 cylinder as we started descent to airport. Came with a strong AVGAS smell. Landed without incident and found that the fitting on the line coming off the flow divider has worked loose.

I really wanted to do my first flight, but ultimately, very good thing I didn't.

I did not do my first flight. There was no one with a LODA nearby for transition training. It would have delayed first flight a month or two to do it myself. So another local RV'r did the first flight and then was right-seat under the additional pilot program.

Who flew SuzieQ first........?

Hiring it out would be like getting someone else to take your bride on the honeymoon... :D

THAT cracks me UP!

I did fly my first flight solo in RV-4 SuzieQ. I stayed current while building her by flying the J-3 Cub and part of that was going over emergency procedures. Yes, it is WAY different in SuzieQ than the Cub but that was to get me in the mind set of "what if THIS...." I'm sure people on the ground were expecting to see a Cub in the dirt more than once....:)

I flew for several flights with Dean Hall (a long-time RV-4 pilot) right before I flew SuzieQ solo. We went through a lot of scenarios that could occur. And some things NOT to do. That was very helpful. I was/am a relatively high-time tailwheel pilot and that helped a lot but is not necessary. Especially in a -A :D

That said, I had every part of that first flight thoroughly thought out and on my Flight Card. I flew that first flight MANY times before I flew that first flight! After, I had EVERY flight after planned out to the minute as what I needed to accomplish and every card was on my kneeboard. That was in 1997 and many resources have since come into existence (including this forum) that I did not have the benefit of having. I went through every "Test Pilot" reference I could find, including military. I was prepared.

SO: yes, you likely CAN make that first flight. It is a whole lot like your first solo and something you will never forget. I can still see the horizon as it got lower on the canopy.....:):):) BUT: you yourself have to be comfortable with doing that. You will eventually have to take her up for the first time.....

What version are you building?

Photo is of that first flight...........:):):)

Attachments

• img758acR.jpg
    img758acR.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 199
my project took 11 years to first flight. tons of money and thousands of hours with blood, sweat and tears. a lot of emotions attached to it. and because of exactly that, somebody else, better suited for the job, did the maiden flight.

doing so will not take a single ounce of pride from you. it's just a reasonable decision. building an aircraft is unreasonable enough.

Last edited:
I flew the first flight of my RV-14A

I had not been flying much in the 4 years prior to the first flight, but I did get about three hours with an experienced pilot in an RV-14A. I had considered paying someone to do the first flight, but realized I really WANTED to do the first flight myself. I am glad I did.

Bruce
RV-14A just finished Phase I

I worked 8 years on my plane and finally finished it. I do not have the experience to do a first flight and lucky I have a couple friends who not only did the first flight but are doing the testing.

My airplane was fun to build, but my first flight will be just as exciting for me as if I did the first test flight.

I did my first flight in my RV6, that was almost 24 years ago. Transition training wasn't easy to get then. I'm building an RV8 now and I am going to do the first flight, but I have over 1,000 hours in my RV6.
If you're worried about it I don't think there's anything wrong with having somebody else do the first flight.

I had a friend who was an RV-7A builder and an A&P do the first flight on my -9A. I was rusty and had flown very little for the six years previous, so I thought it would be best to let him do the honors. No regrets.

I did my first flight in my RV6, that was almost 24 years ago. Transition training wasn't easy to get then. I'm building an RV8 now and I am going to do the first flight, but I have over 1,000 hours in my RV6.
If you're worried about it I don't think there's anything wrong with having somebody else do the first flight.

I'm not worried about it. I'm worried about whether I should be worried about it. If that makes any sense. LOL

Polls

I can't say what's right for you, of course. People far wiser than me suggested I get an objective evaluation from the person giving me transition training, telling them I wanted an honest opinion and that I will respect what they say. This is what I did.

Besides the very important transition training, there are lots of good resources out there to learn what's involved in flight testing, including the EAA and others like the FlyONSPEED team. Mike Vaccaro has written a magnum opus on RV transition training that is packed full of useful information.

https://www.flyonspeed.org/van-s-rv-transition-training-resour

I feel lucky to have these resources available to (hopefully) become a better, safer pilot.

Getting an objective opinion about your flying skills is only part of the equation. More difficult is an honest self-assessment of your emotional state. If things go wrong and the safest option is to land in a corn field, will you accept and do that? It’s easy to answer,’yes, of course’ but in practice much harder to actually do. Just off hand I can think of three RV10 fatal accidents, all low altitude stalls. And while no one can read dead pilots’ minds, it seems likely all three were thinking about trying to save the airplane instead of themselves.

As others have said, there is no right decision other than what is right for you.

I flew my maiden flight, and here's how I decided:
1) I got serious transition training in a friend's same model, same engine plane, numerous take-offs and landings, etc. And then I did the maiden flight literally two days later, so the control and performance feel were fresh in my mind. And sure enough, the first flight was no surprise whatsoever from that perspective.
2) I used all the FAA and other available guidance on how to do a first flight to prep my mindset and make test cards, and flew it in my mind ahead of time over and over so it is was all just following a script.
3) Once the matter of control and performance characteristics has been pre-learned, it boils down to the possible un-expected. So, my reasoning was that un-expected problems can fall into two categories - minor or at least flight control not in question, and you take notes, or land, or major - possibly disastrous. In that latter category, maybe a test pilot could handle an emergency better, and maybe not - and if not, would I want to kill someone else? Best to spend a ton of time making sure "Your nuts are tight" as Vic Syracuse would say - double check flight control and fuel systems stuff including having others look over your construction in detail!
4) For me, it was also a simple matter of after having built that thing over so many years, how could I possibly let someone else make that first flight!

A couple other thoughts if you do your own first flight:
1) Circle over the airport to eliminate that cornfield landing possibility mentioned in the previous post.
2) Don't bring a bunch of friends/observers, etc. to watch. This should not be a show. You want to be totally focused on the flight, not interactions with others. I brought along just my wife - morose, but JIC something terrible were to happen, I would rather she knew right away rather than with a phone call.

So, good luck with the decision, and ask yourself if you are confortable

I've not flown yet, but am very close. Already decided to have someone else to it for me (no shame). Mike Seager is going to do my initial flight or two and then I'll go up with him for some familiarization flights.

Can't think of anyone better to do a test flight in an RV and it's been a 3-4- months since I did my transition time with him so I am sure I am RV rusty already.

Work the odds. This is not a time for emotion. If there is a readily available pilot with more experience in type, let them do it.

So far, I've had someone else fly two, and I flew two. My first flight in the former pair was just as much fun as the second pair.

Test pilot

I've not flown yet, but am very close. Already decided to have someone else to it for me (no shame). Mike Seager is going to do my initial flight or two and then I'll go up with him for some familiarization flights.

Can't think of anyone better to do a test flight in an RV and it's been a 3-4- months since I did my transition time with him so I am sure I am RV rusty already.

I'm planning to hire a Test Pilot. Nice to know Mike does it. I may look him up when the time comes.

I flew my -8’s first flight and would not have missed it for anything. Made the best landing so far! It was the only RV-8 I’ve flown but I was current in my now sold RV-3. Also flew first flight of a Hatz biplane I built years ago. I don’t think I would build a plane with the intention of somebody else testing it. It is my responsibility and my thrill.

I did the first flight in my aircraft. I'll commit heresy here by saying it was also my very first flight in the type, my very first time moving the airplane under its own power, but a long way from my first rodeo.

Throughout the build I remained current in my other airplane, one which is far more demanding of the pilot. I was lucky enough to get a few minutes of stick time in the smaller/older version of my aircraft so I had some vague idea of how the airplane should handle.

Of course it was a brand new airplane, brand new prop, brand new avionics, but all fairly well proven equipment. It took 10 ground runs to get the engine/prop dialed in so I was very comfortable with the engine, prop and their operation and instrumentation.

So all of the above sounds pretty conceited and maybe a bit dumb. But I had a plan... I availed myself of the services of an experienced flight instructor who would ride in the right seat with me for the first flight or two. He has a good deal of experience in certified airplanes and is a homebuilder himself. He also took on the role of safety backstop, checking all of the criteria that went into the go/nogo decision, making sure we had briefed as many scenarios as we could.

Then I chair-flew the first flight so many times and inserted the failure scenarios into those chair-flights, closing my eyes and manipulating controls by feel, building muscle memory, building smoothness and building a sense of cockpit routine.

The first flight was conducted 17 December, 2017 and was flawless. We circled the airport in a big racetrack pattern, staying within gliding distance. After about 1.2 hours we made a normal approach, terminating the flight in a pretty decent landing. No squawks were noted in that first flight.

What have I learned from this experience?
1) having a very experienced pilot to act as your safety backstop is an excellent idea
2) having a very experienced pilot along with you drastically reduces the stress level of the first flight
3) going it alone leaves one open to biases and other influences which could be very detrimental to safe operations

I'm very happy with the way the first flight turned out and suffer no deflation of my ego from having shared that flight experience with another pilot. In fact his presence made the entire experience better, from pre-flight planning to post-flight celebration.

It was mentioned in one other post above, but let me reinforce it - the EAA has the Flight Advisor program to help you answer this EXACT question. The decision you make shouldn’t be based on what anyone (or everyone) else does - it should be based on talking one on one with an experienced flight advisor who can help lead you to a safe first flight - whether it by at your hand, or someone else’s.

Flight Advisors are free (just like Tech Counselors), and you can find them on the EAA web site. If they think that you might have some deficiencies in your approach to a first flight, they can help you decide what needs to be done to have it go the way you like.

Take the emotion out of it, do some objective, rational analysis, and make the risk to you and your plan as low as possible.

Paul

My RV-10 was my very first maiden flight. It was without doubt the most emotionally fulfilling thing I ever did in my life. This is in no way a recommendation for others though, just my personal experience.

I did my own first flight after some excellent transition training from Mike Seager in Ol' Blue, a 6A that is very similar to mine. I really wanted to do the first flight and had no kids or dependents. I am secure in the knowledge that the next life will be better for me than this one (which has been very good). And, if something did go wrong, as a result of a construction error on my part, it seemed right that I be at the controls. These were the most important considerations for me, but there are many times that an experienced test pilot should make the first flight. If your gut says "no" then don't go. It's also important to realize that problems can remain hidden until a later flight. John

Flight Advisors are free (just like Tech Counselors), and you can find them on the EAA web site. If they think that you might have some deficiencies in your approach to a first flight, they can help you decide what needs to be done to have it go the way you like.
Take the emotion out of it, do some objective, rational analysis, and make the risk to you and your plan as low as possible.
Paul

And many on this website!

Transition training $$$$ well spent

Curious how many of you farm it out vs flying it yourself.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Two words for you Greg: “Transition Training”

If you do that, your first flight will be a non event. Even having over 22k of flight time in Navy fighters, civilian heavies, and small aircraft, when I was ready to fly my RV8, I made sure to obtain transition training before my first flight. It’s $$$$$ well spent and will make that first flight a non event, as it should be.

I flew my first flight. HALFWAY considered getting someone else to do it but realized there was no way I'd let that happen. For insurance purposes I did have transition training with the appropriate log book entry. Once I had flown mine, I realized how critically important the transition training was. I wound NOT do it without the training. Not that I could not have done it without, however..... it was the difference between somewhat guessing and having all the confidence for a successful first flight.

I was super fortunate that I had a friend (Van's employee) with who let me get checked out in and fly his RV-6 for 50 hours or so during the last year I was building mine. I also already had a number of TW hours (Aeronca, T-craft, Citabria) which made my first flight more of a test flight for the plane vs. one for me. Even so I know it was a bit of a nail-biter as I'm still not a trained test pilot. I would have hesitated to do it without feeling comfortable in type beforehand.

I haven't read every single post so it might have been mentioned already and I missed it, but I haven't seen any comments regarding the personal attachment factor.

The influence that many $$, and years of hard work can have on split second decision making if things start to go wrong on a first flight, is very real. It should not be taken lightly.

There is an additional safety benefit of a non-emotionally attached first flight test pilot.

This is not meant to dissuade anyone from making a first flight them-self, just hoping you will consider this aspect as well when making the decision. I also would encourage considering the use of the Flight Advisor program. It is a great resource for making the decision.

I did my own aircraft’s fist flight but have also done 6 for others. The other owners were all very experienced pilots (retired airline or 1000 hours +)
One big advantage is another fresh set of eyes. In all cases I spent a minimum of a day going through all aspects of the build etc. Of the 6 others I’ve tested I’ve always found something. For example a loose oil connection to the cooler. Even after it had been signed off
The emotions of a first flight shouldn’t be under estimated and also being slightly detached it’s easier to say no “not today” especially when there’s a crowd who have turned up to watch the big event. (Yes I’ve had say no)

Be careful and don’t get lost in the excitement. The grin on all the owners faces was still always bigger than mine.

Peter

I'll be making my first/test flight in my -9A in a couple of weeks.
I have several hours in my brother's -9A, and have been flying regularly in our other airplanes while building this one.

I'll be making my first/test flight in my -9A in a couple of weeks.
I have several hours in my brother's -9A, and have been flying regularly in our other airplanes while building this one.
Best of luck! Please let us know how it goes. If you have time in a similarly equipped RV9A you'll be way ahead of the game. Can't hurt to get transition training if you have not already.

Best of luck! Please let us know how it goes. If you have time in a similarly equipped RV9A you'll be way ahead of the game. Can't hurt to get transition training if you have not already.

Thanks Mickey.
I have about 50 hours of RV time (-9A and -7A). Those two are steam gages pretty much. The 7A did have a Blue Mountain in it. I have. G3X dual screen in mine. We had a Sling 2 with a G3X, and I have 30+ hrs in it. I feel really comfortable about the flight.

First flight of my -7 was my first solo in an RV and taildragger. Transition and TW training was done of course, and I did not even think about the solo thing until after I landed and was sitting back at home. Go into the unknown, slowly . . . .

I have to say, planning for a potentially emotional day was not in my mind, that does not work for me. I could never study the day before a big exam. Only close friends attended and it was treated like a real test flight not a prelude to celebration. Fire truck, video for accident reconstruction, and that was just about it. 30 min, basic checks, and done. Removed the cowl, inspected, then flew again after lunch for an hour. Know your limitations.

Last edited:
Made my own first flight

Made my own first flight after;

1. 3 hours of transition training with Zac in the factory RV10 shortly before my first flight. I was totally comfortable with the flight characteristics.

2. Detaching myself 100% from the save the plane mentality. I was mentally prepared to preserve my backside at any cost to the airplane, NO qualms.

3. Slight level off and control check after breaking ground before going up to circle the airport. Plenty of runway to set back down if things didn't feel right.

4. My wife and son were the only spectators. No pressure to complete the flight if everything wasn't exactly as expected as I pulled on to the active runway.

First flight

I flew my first flight in my 9A. I did transition training 2 weeks before in a 7A where things are moving faster. Lots of fun and excitement and a sense of accomplishment. Be sure to give the plane a once over to check bolts before to up your confidence. And tell the tower about the first flight so you get congratulations after. Don’t make it a big deal with lots of friends and chase plane, just stay close to the airport; you should be breaking in your new engine anyway. You have a lot more hours than most of us had. Congrats.

I used a CFII friend of mine that had a ton of RV10 time. He was PIC left seat and I was ballast and engine parameters in right seat. I only had 100hr total time when I finished my 10. After the first flight I flew left seat with him in right seat and he also gave me my transition training at the same time. He flew with me for about the first 10 hrs. I would not have done anything differently looking back. He is also providing me my instrument training as we speak. He loves flying and giving instruction and really loves the RV10.

I used a CFII friend of mine that had a ton of RV10 time. He was PIC left seat and I was ballast and engine parameters in right seat. I only had 100hr total time when I finished my 10. After the first flight I flew left seat with him in right seat and he also gave me my transition training at the same time. He flew with me for about the first 10 hrs. I would not have done anything differently looking back. He is also providing me my instrument training as we speak. He loves flying and giving instruction and really loves the RV10.

Not to Judge, but for others benefit.....
This is not legal unless you have applied for and got approval for the additional pilot program for your Phase 1 flight testing.

Not to Judge, but for others benefit.....
This is not legal unless you have applied for and got approval for the additional pilot program for your Phase 1 flight testing.

It’s worse than that. The ‘additional pilot program’ makes no provision for pilot training. Now, some is bound to happen, but as a cfi I would not sign off anything as ‘dual instruction’ during phase 1 flying, without a specific okay from the fsdo.

Jay Pratt did the first flight of my RV-6 back in 2002.

I did the next 2,000 <g>.

v/r,dr:)

It’s worse than that. The ‘additional pilot program’ makes no provision for pilot training. Now, some is bound to happen, but as a cfi I would not sign off anything as ‘dual instruction’ during phase 1 flying, without a specific okay from the fsdo.

I agree, but if we are all honest, there will be some level of training going on in this type of a situation where a more experienced pilot is purposely involved, because they are more experienced. I doubt the FAA was ignorant of that fact when they developed the program.

A CFI doing a high performance sign off during this phase one time would be a direct contradiction to what is allowed.

What's the saying, there are old pilots and there are bolded pilots but no old bold pilots! :D
That being said I will do my first flight with some training of course

Don't forget the Additional Pilot program

I haven't seen any comments mention the additional pilot program.

While I did the first flight on both of my builds (one before the Additional Pilot program was started). I recently acted as the qualified pilot on a first flight. The qualified pilot doesn't have to be the pilot flying and I wasn't on the ride along, but I was very much involved in the flight while the builder flew the plane.

I was the builders Tech Counselor, so I knew his plane well and he had taken transition training in the same make and model. I like this program a lot and would recommend it for anyone who wants to make the first flight but thinks a another qualified pilot in the airplane might be a good idea.

Last edited:
I had my friend, Tom Berge, do my first two flights and he flew with me on the third flight. Tom is a certified RV instructor, who has built an RV-6A and a RV-7A, he has several thousand hours flying and instructing in RV aircraft over several decades and gave me an excellent checkout in his aircraft. I had about nine hours flying RV-7As, so from a safety standpoint it made all the sense in the world to let Tom fly the first two flights. The third flight was plenty exciting for me. I knew going in that everything was working fine and Tom was there to back me up. I had a lot more flying experience than Tom, but he had the experience that counted.

Back