What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB installation guidence request

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Anybody have knowledge about separation of the Stratux style ADSB box from things like the transponder or comm antennas?

How about separation of the antennas for ADSB in, and comm or transponder antennas??

Transponder is ADSB out also. Trig 22.

The best (for simple and easy installation) location I have for the ADSB in box is less than a foot away from the transponder antenna, and the best location (also easy installation) for the ADSB in antennas are on either side of the comm antenna.

I am concerned that mounting the equipment where it is easy and fits well could make the interference from the comm or transponder antennas a real unpleasant issue.

Not trying to be "cute", but that info was found in the installation instructions for my uAvionics ADSB fitment. Could that info be buried somewhere in the instructions?

Not trying to be "cute", but that info was found in the installation instructions for my uAvionics ADSB fitment. Could that info be buried somewhere in the instructions?

Used unit bought here on VAF- no instructions.

The installation instructions for my uAvionix "Echo UAT" state:

"Avoid mounting the antenna within 1 meter of an existing transponder, ADF sense antenna or any COMM antenna and 2 meters from the DME antenna."

To me, this appears to be generic advice, but YMMV, and you may find differing instructions for the Stratus.

The antenna being described is the transmit/rec antenna for the ADSB out/in, which looks just like the transponder antenna. The GPS receiver antenna for the ADSB position source is a different antenna.

You might be able to download the installation instructions for the Stratux from the web.......

Hope this helps...............

Since the stratux is an ADSB-In Only box it should not affect the transponder or radios and does not provide ADSB-Out data. I built one several years ago and simply had it mounted on the roll bar in the RV4 with no issues. Occasionally you do have to reimage the data card to keep the unit working...so where ever you install it make sure you have easy access. Just make sure the Stratux antennas have a good view of the world for better reception.

Fun fact: you can also put an AHRS chip in it and set it up for the ultra backup ADI. Which works great with an application like ForeFlight.

Good luck!

Mike,
In my case, I have the antenna and receiver several feet from my Stratux. I just use a USB cable to connect the receiver to the Stratux.

Having the Stratux Box near the transponder antenna Might be a problem since there will be RF and the Stratux box is not shielded. You can try shielding by wrapping with aluminum foil. Or mount the antenna and receiver away from the transponder antenna.

Give me a call Monday if you want to chat.

Jim Butcher

The Stratux in my RV-6 is located in the baggage compartment only a couple of feet from the transponder antenna. However, the antenna for the Stratux (an inexpensive TED transponder antenna) is located on the belly near the tail. I haven't had any issues and the device has been very reliable.

I did a stratux box install for a friend. I physically attached the stratux box to the transponder tray. No problem. I split the plastic case and drilled holes in the bottom half to screw it onto the transponder tray with flush screws and then re-assembled.

I think it is more important to keep the "in" antennas feeding the stratux at least 2.5 feet away from high-power comm or transponder antennas.

I used two Delta Pop shark-fin antennas for "in". One standard transponder model for 1090 in and one UAT model for 978 in.

Good advice above about making the stratux easily accessible as one time it stopped working and we popped out the Mini SD card and re-installed it and it fixed the problem. But it took an hour to gain access and re-assemble the panel.

Jim

+1

Many options here. I bought the nice, tuned rubber antennae for the stratux. I mounted them up high, near the longeron behind the pilot seat in my 6A. Works very well and have never not picked up at least 2 towers. The key is to keep it about 3' away from other high power antennae. Ultimately dropped the startux due to reliability issues, but still use the same antennae.

Larry

Last edited:
Before I installed the tailBeaconX in my -6, I had a Garmin 327. I had my Stratux sitting on the glareshield with it's tuned antennas pointed skyward. No interference between it and the comm (GTR200), 327, etc.

With the 327 removed, i'm running the single antenna cable from the 327 antenna back to the stratux and using a splitter to connect it to both receivers. The slight tuning error on the antenna for 1090, and the slight loss due to splitting the signal, is more than made up for by the fact that it's a much better antenna. I'm also relocating the Stratux to the T-bar behind the tip-up canopy, to get it off my glareshield.

+1

The Stratux in my RV-6 is located in the baggage compartment only a couple of feet from the transponder antenna. However, the antenna for the Stratux (an inexpensive TED transponder antenna) is located on the belly near the tail. I haven't had any issues and the device has been very reliable.

Same setup except I left both rubber antennas connected to the Stratux box. Even though the antennas are inside the aircraft, the reception on both frequencies is phenomenal. Figured I’d give this a try before mounting anything externally. The whole setup is about 3 feet away from the transponder antenna. Also hard wired the unit to the aircraft electrical system with a powered USB port like this one ($7.50 at Amazon):

Attachments

• F0C33943-6E4F-42F7-B735-7CA73F772236.jpeg
    F0C33943-6E4F-42F7-B735-7CA73F772236.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 245
Thanks everybody

Well this pretty much confirmed my suspicions---looks like I dont get to follow the easy path with this installation.

Thanks for all the responses.

Fly safe out there.

Here is a picture of the charge cable I used for the Stratux. Wire it right into 12Volts and skip the Type A USB outlet.

51UM7Z%2BWbeL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Back