What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 26-11

asw20c

Well Known Member
Hi All,
I know these kinds of questions are hard to answer but I didn't get any satisfaction from my call to tech support this morning. Perhaps one of you guys that have built past this point can help me.
Page 26-11 rev 3 shows a detail view of the F-01484 bottom skin. On the left and right edges of the skin are locations for 7 nut plates, 14 total. All the plans say at this point is to final drill the screw hole with a #19 bit. So far so good. The plans are silent about dimpling the screw holes afterward. I looked forward in the plans and the nut plates don't get installed until somewhere in section 29, but it still didn't say anything about dimpling the screw holes. At least not that I can find. Can anyone tell me if the plans eventually tell you to dimple these screw holes or is this one of those areas where you are just supposed to know that's what needs to be done? I hate making those kinds of assumptions because usually there is a reason the plans delay an expected step until later on.

And along those same lines, on the same page the plans specifically say NOT to dimple the four K1000-06 screw holes on the left and right side of the skin near the gear leg hole. Again that seems terribly odd to me on a plane that uses flush rivets and flush screws everywhere on the skins. Do those get dimpled at some point later on? I couldn't find any details on that either. I recall in the wing-walk area that you didn't dimple the skins because there was a doubler plate underneath and you countersunk instead for the rivets.
I really appreciate y'alls help.

I believe those #19 holes are for the screws that attach the aft part of the wing gap fairing to the fuselage which is section 41. They are AN-515 round head screws so no dimple required.

The holes near the gear legs are likely gear leg fairing attach holes...I think. If so, they will not be dimpled b/c the screws are countersunk last into the fairing.

Those are my guesses

I was putting on these nutplates today and wondered the same thing about the dimples. The root fairing attach angles (F-14119 and F-14120) on the top side of the wing that are attached to the fuse side are #17 and are dimpled. Didn't want to install the nutplates on the bottom until I found this thread.

Thanks,
Jeff

You can always look at the nutplate type and screw type to figure it out:

K-1000 don't dimple

K-1100 dimple

Flat head/pan head screw don't dimple

Countersunk head screw - dimple

Back